Thread: Keeping paper (exposure sheets, notes) with negatives - bad for archiving?

Question Keeping paper (exposure sheets, notes) with negatives - bad for archiving?

I tend to keep my exposure sheets, dividers, etc. in with my negatives just in the 3-ring film binders and am starting to wonder if that's wise for archiving safety.

The film itself is in PrintFiles (35mm, 120, and 4x5) in BW, C-41, and E-6. I have my old binder from high school (not many moons old heh) that had shoot sheets with the negatives with no notable issues (all that stuff was BW though).

Curious, I know acid-free paper is better for mounting prints. For negatives, do I need to get a certain type of paper and/or 3-ring dividers or is normal paper and stuff a-ok? PrintFiles protect the negatives from touching anything but not sure if any off-gassing could be an issue?

Asking because it is convenient to keep some metadata with my films - such as exposure, push/pull, film type for the 4x5's if it's not obvious, etc. I actually document this in a custom webapp I made (thefilmlog.org) but the idea was to include much of this information with the negative just in case I lost the digitally ethereal versions. But if it's not ideal to do so, I may either keep the notes in another binder or just stick with my digital notes (and make copious backups).

David Schaller

Re: Keeping paper (exposure sheets, notes) with negatives - bad for archiving?

I use a separate small notebook for my exposure details, with the scenes and holder numbers. I write the processing information in the notebook as well, and on the Printfile sheet with a Sharpie pen. If I made a mistake, I make notes to myself in the notebook, which I will have with me in the field in the future. I also have a another notebook in the darkroom, which notes the film processing, and print exposure details. I honestly don’t refer to past exposures too much, and the processing notes mostly to decide whether to develop the second sheet more or less than the first.

I used to keep printing notes but found I rarely print same image twice, or the same way when revisiting. the only problem with paper near your negatives will be the attraction of bugs over long term storage. I now write some items on the negative sleeve such as VC Grade or density. I use a whiteboard during printing between refinements then will transfer that info to back of the final print(s) when dry in pencil. If I mount, the print info goes on the back of the matboard.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I don't think ordinary paper 'gasses out' like (styro)foam and certain glues. Paper may be acidic but it seems unlike that it will penetrate polyethylene - I'm assuming that those Printfiles are made of PE? I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

I had to stop using Printfiles as well as Unicolor pages for my negatives when they began to turn to dust and fall apart. I now have good quality sleeves for both sheet and roll film which I bought in large quantity a good number of years ago.

Hmm thanks folks! Gives me some food for thought!

Jereom, which sleeves do you use for 4x5? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmarxz View Post
    Jereom, which sleeves do you use for 4x5? Cheers
    I shoot 8x10 and I can only get pergamin sleeves in Europe.