Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: choosing a 4x5 camera

Re: choosing a 4x5 camera

Just to throw a spanner in the works, no someone has offered me a horseman woodman for a reasonable price, saying it is light but more solid than either the shen hao or chamonix. Thoughts, or is he just pushing to sell

Just bit the bullet on the horseman, at a third of the price it was a no brainer really. Thanks for all the replies. I have to wait for it to get shipped to me, which will drive me crazy

Curious, which Horseman?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by David Richards View Post
    Just bit the bullet on the horseman, at a third of the price it was a no brainer really. Thanks for all the replies. I have to wait for it to get shipped to me, which will drive me crazy

David, others have suggested certain monorail options, and I would suggest you peruse this thread concerning Linhof's Technikarden 45S. I have one, and a Master Technika, and have found both excellent; but after reading that thread I'm looking forward to boosting my usage of the 45S.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Huub

Congratulations on the deal! When the Horseman is in good shape, i am pretty sure that camera will suit you well.

Be aware that quite a few of us decide on a new camera based on the experiences we have with our first. But by that time yoiu will know what you are looking for and which features are important for you.

Horseman woodman is another good choice. My only thought about it is lots of small knobs and limited bellows if you shoot more than 300mm or do macro work. Practice with it at home before you take it in the field, sometimes these are quirky to fold and lens board mechanism must be pushed down before folding. Develop the habit of pinching the back when inserting/removing the dark slide. Tip - if you get a scratch in the dark wood, rub with the center of a pecan so the oil from the pecan fills the scratch, the oil darkens and protects.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by David Richards View Post
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, no someone has offered me a horseman woodman for a reasonable price, saying it is light but more solid than either the shen hao or chamonix. Thoughts, or is he just pushing to sell
    The Woodman is certainly light, but solid build and rigidity are unfortunately not qualities it is known for. That said, I'm sure it's not a terrible camera by any means and will likely work quite adequately for you.

I started with a nice older Nagaoka that I purchased from Kumar on the forum for a very reasonable price (great seller). It was a good camera for some time, but as I became more comfortable with LF, I found that it lacked the rigidity necessary to take my hardware out of the equation. It simply would not hold its settings adequately. Ruined many shots, but also took some of my favorites with that camera. With the Chamonix, I do not even think about the camera when I am shooting. Just composition and making a good negative. My advice, go with a very solid camera. You will be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
    I started with a nice older Nagaoka that I purchased from Kumar on the forum for a very reasonable price (great seller). It was a good camera for some time, but as I became more comfortable with LF, I found that it lacked the rigidity necessary to take my hardware out of the equation. It simply would not hold its settings adequately. Ruined many shots, but also took some of my favorites with that camera. With the Chamonix, I do not even think about the camera when I am shooting. Just composition and making a good negative. My advice, go with a very solid camera. You will be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The horseman, is a woodman 45. Looks like new condition, the bellows aren't mispleated, buying from Kumar, I didn't know he was on this forum too, my contact was via Facebook. It is reassuring to read positive comments about him. Hopefully the deal will be done today.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I believe you made a good choice. It is a good camera.