Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138 which color heads can work?

Re: Durst 138 which color heads can work?

Here are photos of the SM-183 with both the standard condenser head and the CLS 301. Don't forget to use a fan with either in order to keep the bulbs cool!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM183.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	198750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLS301.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	198749
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 25-Dec-2019 at 14:01.

Drew Wiley

The CLS301 was designed for completely even illumination on 10X10, and therefore amounts to a luxury head for 5x7. Don't think you'll avoid a project, however. It all depends on the condition of the power supply. These units might had hard industrial usage for nearly half a century. They'll go another 50 years if well maintained; but trying to fix a temperamental power supply can be quite a challenge. It's better to either buy a new/reconditioned power supply or rewire the enlarger to straight line voltage. Models intended for export to the US typically run 115V. Only the cooling fan needs 240V.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The CLS301 was designed for completely even illumination on 10X10, and therefore amounts to a luxury head for 5x7. Don't think you'll avoid a project, however. It all depends on the condition of the power supply. These units might had hard industrial usage for nearly half a century. They'll go another 50 years if well maintained; but trying to fix a temperamental power supply can be quite a challenge. It's better to either buy a new/reconditioned power supply or rewire the enlarger to straight line voltage. Models intended for export to the US typically run 115V. Only the cooling fan needs 240V.
    And just where are you going to buy a “new/reconditioned” power supply? You can change the voltage inside a TRA power supply with jumpers. See below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	198738

Drew Wiley

I've been down this road more than once. Fix or replace something in one of those old power supplies, and then something else either goes awry soon after, or one simply goes insane after awhile trying to replace everything. It's far easier just to separate the 115 and 240 circuits and run them independently. Of course, one wants to test their own line voltage first for potential fluctuations. But often standard plug-in power is more consistent than what comes out of a decrepit power supply. Just like everything Durst, sometimes one gets lucky and finds a fairly clean pampered unit; but a lot of this gear got very hard lab usage over several decades. And power supplies are definitely the achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPr View Post
    Hello,
    I'm going to buy Durst 138 .... and have no clue which color head can work together with it. I can only find the B&W version... but which color head works? In manual is CLS 1000. Please help not to make stupid mistake.

thanks
    Sly
    Do you know which version of the L-138 you are buying? There were at least 3 main versions and there are differences. Do you have photos of it? If so, pls post them.

Drew Wiley

I'm aware of 5 different chassis configurations, not counting head options.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'm aware of 5 different chassis configurations, not counting head options.
    Wonderful! Pls post photos/manuals of them!

Drew Wiley

Don't get smart with me. I've had as many as 6 different heads for Durst here at the same time (plus two of my own design), and have refurbished multiple chassis. They even made a hexagonal column version of the 138 for exceptionally predictable rise and fall (darn expensive). Right now I know where there's one of the oversized base versions with the lower half essentially an L184 base; but the darn thing is in an industrial basement location that would be hell to remove it from - no freight elevator! Getting a new power supply is easy. There are companies that make these things to specification; and in this case, might have something right off the shelf because the dual voltages are standard. All the plugs and sockets are readily available. But I suspect the whole point in this case is to save money and hassle, so some luck needs to be involved.

Drew Wiley

On their own history links, Durst has pictures of enlargers up to 12X16 (20X40 cm film size), a beast. I don't really know how many series of enlargers they made during their commercial history. The 138's series was a popular workhorse. They kept designing new colorheads right to the end. The last ones never were sold except for govt usage; I've seen the guts of them. Back then the demand was for very powerful units capable of efficiently punching Cibachrome, a very slow medium. Modern RA4 print dramatically faster. I'm just like everyone else here - had to innovate, horse trade, refurbish, and get lucky with free stuff from big labs going out of business.

Not getting smart with anyone just giving you a chance to share your wealth of knowledge and educate us. So no photos or manuals to post? Thought so....