Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst 138 which color heads can work?

Durst 138 which color heads can work?

Hello,
    I'm going to buy Durst 138 .... and have no clue which color head can work together with it. I can only find the B&W version... but which color head works? In manual is CLS 1000. Please help not to make stupid mistake.

thanks
    Sly

Re: Durst 138 which color heads can work?

My Durst 138 has a CLS 301 color head. According to the Operating Manual you can also use a CLS 300 head. I hope this helps

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Are you using this for color 57? Otherwise get an LPL 4500. The 138 is a great B&W enlarger for color you’re limited to the two Durst heads as Richard noted.

Drew Wiley

Incorrect. There are numerous options. Avoid the CLS300; it's a hot, expensive to maintain high wattage unit once intended for color mural work. The 301 is plenty bright. But you need to enquire about the condition of the filters and power supply. Many of these older power supplies have gotten unreliable. They can be bypassed if you have some basic wiring skills. Either way, you also need the appropriate mirror box and its housing (a large metal hood between the carrier and colorhead). There are also more recent Durst heads you can use, but they're less common and likely to be quite expensive, and too powerful to be practical in ordinary usage. You could also check with Glennview for a color conversion to the old condenser head. Some people are experimenting with making their own LED colorheads, but I think this approach is premature (dim, so-so color). If you have the 4x5 mirror box & housing you could mount just about any 4x5 colorhead above it with a custom adapter - Chromega, Beseler, Saunders etc.

"A proportional LED colour head for Durst 138/139" at:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Durst-138-139

If you're not printing above 4x5 negatives, the LPL is going to be your best bet. Both Dichroic and VCCE heads which are great to use. It's also still being made, so lots of used and new parts available. The L-138 is going to be a "project" to find a color head and then get it to work! If you really need 57 color I’d look for an 810 Devere.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 23-Dec-2019 at 13:18.

Drew Wiley

If the diffusion system inside another brand of 4x5 colorhead was even enough, you wouldn't even need a mirror box, just a mounting flange above the carrier. Easy to do in a basic shop.

Thank you for all your help. The idea is to use it for my 5x7 negatives... I found somewhere Ilford Multigrade 500 assembled with it but only to 4x5. But how about 5x7?

I bet you get better responses with a 'Wanted to Buy' ad here

Add your location to your posts, as many solutions are delicate to ship

I have one 5X7 solution that is not for sale, ever in my lifetime...
    Tin Can

A Multigrade head prints B&W, NOT color. I assume the enlarger will come the standard Condenser head which prints B&W. If you really need a color head, look for a Durst CLS-301 complete with power supply (TRA 301 or EST 301), Lacap and Latibox the 138-57 light box. If it has the Lafan great, if not, you can use a generic fan and leave it on all the time. Shown here on a Durst SM-183, which uses the same L-138 camera. Ľou can also get a DeVere 8x10 dichroic enlarger, or another 8x10 color enlarger, Chromega F, etc.. Any other color head for the 138 Durst is going to be a "project" and will not work out of the box without additional manufacturing/machining. The latest CLS 1000 color head uses bulbs which are discontinued and very hard to find. The CLS 301 uses ELH projector bulbs which are very easy to find. Good luck. Post photos of the enlarger when you get it. Any specific questions, you can PM me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLS301.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	198731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	198732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	198734DurstCLS301 MANUAL.pdf
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 24-Dec-2019 at 10:43.