Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alfred Stieglitz: Equivalent 1923

Drew Wiley

Re: Alfred Stieglitz: Equivalent 1923

Thanks.

I don't have the link handy, but on Youtube was an interesting panel discussion at MOMA for the show "Strand, Stiglitz, and Steichen" some years back... Better than usual discussion...

I think I remember there was mention of how unhappy he was after Georgia stayed in NM, where she noticed a sad darkness in his work...

One positive I heard was that he decided that hand-holding his large Graflex was liberating, and freed him from a static camera on a tripod!!! Might have some merit, as when I use mine (with the slightly longer than normal lens), it seems to slightly vary the composition each time I aim it hand-held, so the camera creates a variable dynamic variation to notice each time I compose... So the camera can feel a little "alive"... (Never the exact same shot twice...)

Steve K

Drew Wiley

The most insightful line I have read is that both Stieglitz and O'Keefe were much greater as artists than as human beings; in other words, rather selfish individuals, with each inevitably going their own direction. She wasn't his last diversion, however. I don't collect picture books anymore; but I have some particularly nice Stieglitz ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I had heard when his favorite Kodak paper was discontinued, he didn't bother to print anymore...
    I think that might have been one of the other Camera Work photographers - Frederick Evans & his preference for platinum printing? I do however recall reading that the Equivalents were largely printed on postcard paper.

There's an extraordinary book/ catalogue of Stieglitz's work from a 1983 exhibition at the National Gallery in Washington - images reproduced in (state of the art for the time) tritone on matte paper & all the text done in letterpress - the 1996 reprint (done by the same methods I believe - at a legendary printer's in Verona) was sponsored by Kodak.

Drew Wiley

I have the original Natl Gallery Edition, and yes, it's wonderfully printed on high-grade paper. Convenient and inspiring, but still not equal to the thrill I had seeing the original prints.