Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfred Stieglitz: Equivalent 1923

Alfred Stieglitz: Equivalent 1923

Equivalent
    Alfred Stieglitz, 1923
    Gelatin Silver Print, 3 11/16 x 4 5/8 in. (9.4 x 11.7 cm)
    San Francisco Museum of Art

I saw this today for the first time and thought others here might appreciate it. I took the liberty of removing some spots.

Re: Alfred Stieglitz: Equivalent 1923

Like!

Yet, so big on my monitor and so small as a contact print, IRL.

The link shows more, with a rare sense of innocence in all of them. Not picking the nudes, they are also innocent to my old eyes.

'Out, Damned Spot' said the lady...
    Tin Can

Ahead of his time, leading the way.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I have seen all of the original series together... They are wonderful and have an energy and life of their own...

Too bad Stiglitz didn't shoot and print more... I had heard when his favorite Kodak paper was discontinued, he didn't bother to print anymore... Then health/heart problems curtailed photo endeavors... And found himself out of trend earlier when cutting edge art photography took a more "graphic" approach to composition...

But don't forget to thank him for bringing modern art to America!!!

Steve K

Stiglitz took on the extremely difficult task of trying to bring awareness of photography being an Art. Since the invention of photography it was considered to be nothing more than recording and image made using light and chemistry. This goal became Stiglitz's primary focus at "The Place" in NYC. Stiglitz was married to Georgia O'Keeffe. During their time together Stiglitz photographed Georgia to extremes including an entire series of nudes. He was not just one of the great art photographers, he was instrumental to altering the perceptions of what photography can be. In this AA documentary from 1981, at 28:20 AA is together with Georgia reminiscing about their days in NYC and "The Palace".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHeRw3kY3pk

Suspect Stiglitz curtailed his photography and spring making after taking on the goal of trying his very best to alter the perception of what photography can be... which is a form of Artistic Expression. Stiglitz spent his days in NYC while Georgia spent her days in New Mexico making art.

It should be known and appreciated that Stiglitz did all he could to support his group of Artist in their artistic endeavors while struggling to keep the doors open at "The Place".

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Equivalent
    Alfred Stieglitz, 1923
    Gelatin Silver Print, 3 11/16 x 4 5/8 in. (9.4 x 11.7 cm)
    San Francisco Museum of Art

I saw this today for the first time and thought others here might appreciate it. I took the liberty of removing some spots.
    Thank you for sharing this!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I once saw the whole master set of prints. Dark, moody, heavy Gestalt with a bit of genius spice added. He obviously wasn't a happy man.

Mirror Mirror
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Well, being able to rather precisely mirror one's inner self in their own photographs is a mark of genius, at least in my estimation. Thousands of people have taken wannabee "equivalents", pictures of trees n' clouds, and so forth. Few have the same punch in the gut impact as these.

Wisely worded

Happy Holiday!
    Tin Can