Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkroom setup: your thoughts

Re: Darkroom setup: your thoughts

As for bench or sink height, it should depend on your height and if you work sitting down or standing. Look up bench heights. Water can be pumped uphill.

My now last Darkroom is a bedroom in an 100 year old house. Rewiring was not necessary in my case. Wall mount plumbing works well. Despite all the electrical gear I have in there, none of it operates at the same time. The one heavy load is a vacuum pump for a contact print frame, 4 amps. It has a dedicated wall mounted switch.The Hass valve uses very little power.

I use LEDs for safe lights and white room light. 5 enlargers but only one ever runs at the same time. Same with a pile of timers.

But I do want it all plugged in, so I wall mounted 9 outlet power strips which also have circuit load breakers. THey are very strongly mounted, plugged directly into wall sockets.

That entire 1/2 of the house is one 20 amp breaker, which is now GFCI at the main panel.

I also use a RF switch, wall mounted to control remote sockets in the power strips. Not WIFI controlled. Handy for safe lights and white light.

I have a very small air compressor in the furnace room on a different circuit which runs Gas Burst tanks also supplying dried and filtered 25 PSI air low flow for dust off.

Really just got it all usable after moving here 2.5 years ago.

I blacked out the one big window and lag screwed 2 layers of plywood into the next over studs. It's now my NE storm room. No basement, a tornado hopped right over my first year.

Little by little

Enlargers are still out there, some I drove 1000 miles round trip to get, some I even paid real money. Some were free...

Build the darkroom once and keep looking for enlargers everywhere

but have fun, this is a wacky hobby now for most

gets this old man out of bed every morning
    Tin Can

Re: Darkroom setup: your thoughts

Darkroom renovation 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom Sink Finally Plumbed 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

E3 Finally Installed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Washing and Drying Side Sink Preinstallation by Nokton48, on Flickr

It's been a good year. I have gone from a primarily storage, and film loading room, to a real darkroom! Work will continue after the first of the year, as funds free up.

More heat, plumbing, more electrical, and work tables are future projects.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain