Thread: Film Group-Buy, Central-Eastern Canada (Carestream EB-RA x-ray film)

Film Group-Buy, Central-Eastern Canada (Carestream EB-RA x-ray film)

Hey guys, I'm looking to do a group purchase of x-ray film in Central-Eastern Canada. Due to declining sales, Carestream will only sell EB-RA x-ray film by the case now, which constitutes 4 boxes of 100 sheets of 8x10 film. I can't afford to pay for a whole case, since it comes out to 592$ CAD after shipping and sales tax. At 148$ per box, that's a hell of a savings over nearly any other film available for purchase in Canada. It is also cheaper to get it from Carestream in Canada than to pay the post exchange rate price, courier, and brokerage fees with ZZ Medical. Broken down into 400 sheets of 4x5, you're looking at only 37 cents Canadian per sheet. EB/RA has very favourable characteristics for normal photography, despite its orthochromacy, including its fine grain and high acutance. Is there anyone in the Montreal Greater Area and it surroundings (Cornwall, Ottawa, Trois-Rivieres, etc.) who would like to participate in a group purchase with me?

Re: Film Group-Buy, Central-Eastern Canada (Carestream EB-RA x-ray film)

Better check on case lots, I think when I bought a boxed case it was 5 boxes

I once bought a single box of it 14X17 and it darn near spilled out from the the weight. It ripped 2 boxes.

Cases are best.

ZZ Medical in Iowa is $97 per 100 sheet box right now...

Good luck!
    Tin Can

ZZ Medical charges 97$ USD, which comes out to 127.75 CAD, plus the shipping fees. I've ordered from ZZ Medical before, and I know from experience that these fees work out to being 40$+ (About 30$ USD, which probably doesn't sound as excessive to some people as a number in American dollars). This is because they use couriers- you pay the flat rate for shipping, and then you have to pay a brokerage fee because it crosses the border. The latter tends to be exorbitant.

As for what I'm doing, I'm ordering directly from Carestream Canada. The quote I was given (at 148$ per box) includes sales tax and shipping fees. If anyone interested is in the Montreal area, I could hand over the box or boxes in person. For everyone else, I could guarantee 10$ shipping.

Edit:

I went to the ZZ Medical website to get an estimation of shipping. I was right- it came out to 28.28$ USD for UPS Standard in initial shipping fees to both my apartment and a random address in Ottawa. This does not include the additional untold brokerage fees in the 10-20$ range, as I recall from my last order. You'll also be paying sales tax on the initial 127.75$ CAD, which at 12% is 15$ CAD. All told, ordering from ZZ Medical would work out to being roughly 192.75$ per box at the low end (assuming 10$ brokerage fee), if you're ordering in Eastern Canada.

Sorry, I was unaware

I love vacationing in Canada

I also like Ektascan
    Tin Can

Goldman

I ordered from ZZ Medical a few years ago and ask them to shipped the package by US post.It was delivered to my home without any extra charge! Carestream Canada are not good. Be careful ordering from them
    I don’t like the x-ray film. It is only good for tests.

It's the same film, Goldman. Whether you order it from Carestream Canada, or ZZ Medical, if you're ordering EB/RA, you're getting EB/RA. I didn't know you could ask for normal post, but assuming that it's roughly the same price as the courier shipping (28.28 USD), that would still make ordering a case together slightly cheaper (97 USD + 28.28 USD = 164.93 CAD). This is why I'm looking for people in the Montreal-Ottawa area, to avoid shipping costs entirely.

It is also worth mentioning that you run the risk of having your film being put through an x-ray machine if you have it sent across the border by regular post.
    Last edited by senderoaburrido; 23-Dec-2019 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldman View Post
    I ordered from ZZ Medical a few years ago and ask them to shipped the package by US post.It was delivered to my home without any extra charge! Carestream Canada are not good. Be careful ordering from them
    I don’t like the x-ray film. It is only good for tests.
    Not true. I've used it to make some fine images.