Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edward Steichen: In High Fashion - The Conde Nast Years, 1923-1937

Re: Edward Steichen: In High Fashion - The Conde Nast Years, 1923-1937

Great to hear this book was well enjoyed.

Edward Steichen was introduced to me by an artist fiend during the early 1980's he was inspirational in many ways and one of many Artist that affected my perception of what Photography and Art could be. There is much to learn from Artist like Edward Steichen as inspiration and examples of what expressive image making can be. They should always be noted as inspiration rather than emulation.

One of my fave music programs "From the Top" which highlights musically gifted youth was heard the story of one gifted performer telling how his music teacher-mentor coached and directed the many practice exercises over many years of musical instrument learning. There came a time when this
    music teacher-mentor told him time has come to greatly limit these practice exercises and give each piece of music learned YOUR own voice and interpretation. Much the same can be applied to creative image making where great Artistic works from accomplished Artist like Edward Steichen can be used as learning and inspiration to help a developing Artist find their own creative voice.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The vgc First Edition BOOK arrived, best $9 delivered I ever spent.

I am going to take this book slow. I just read the introduction written by Edward Steichen, which had me in tears a couple times. Why? Because he shows he had 'nature' but 'nurture' clearly, by mother, directed his early path. I also believe the 1890's was a period of intense innovation in many fields. Took decades to realize the technology fully.

I love his tale of accidentally kicking the tripod and liking the result. Innovation by happenstance and recognition.

more later

Yes, but change in art is hard to change...

I look at all the trees WE ALL shoot and wonder...

I am shooting manicured weeds when the light is right next year...

Not kidding, I saw them near here and keep missing the light...

I prefer people but they are so shy...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Great to hear this book was well enjoyed.

Edward Steichen was introduced to me by an artist fiend during the early 1980's he was inspirational in many ways and one of many Artist that affected my perception of what Photography and Art could be. There is much to learn from Artist like Edward Steichen as inspiration and examples of what expressive image making can be. They should always be noted as inspiration rather than emulation.

One of my fave music programs "From the Top" which highlights musically gifted youth was heard the story of one gifted performer telling how his music teacher-mentor coached and directed the many practice exercises over many years of musical instrument learning. There came a time when this
    music teacher-mentor told him time has come to greatly limit these practice exercises and give each piece of music learned YOUR own voice and interpretation. Much the same can be applied to creative image making where great Artistic works from accomplished Artist like Edward Steichen can be used as learning and inspiration to help a developing Artist find their own creative voice.

Bernice
    Tin Can

Peter!

It is an astounding book. I just got the hardcover brand new, sold as VG used, it has a tiny mark on page edges. They must have oodles of them left over.

$21.50 delivered by Amazon and worth far more. 2008 original edition, printed in Italy on very good paper that is also certified for longevity!

I should wear white gloves...

Almost Every Image Full Page. This is actually a fetish book. The images are beyond anything I have seen. I could frame them all and put on my wall. But, no. Sadly.

My last wife would have swooned, she had the era's clothing, shoes, hats and haughty attitude, if drinking...RIP Marnie.

American advertising that blows Karsh away. I also have his picture books. I like Karsh, but I LOVE this style.

Bernice, Ken Lee, Peter,

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I stumbled upon Edward Steichen: In High Fashion - The Conde Nast Years, 1923-1937 at my local library. It's a wonderful book. Many of the photos are excellent portraits.

https://www.amazon.com/Edward-Steich...6862310&sr=8-1
    Tin Can

That's great, Randy! I'm glad that you liked it! I brought it and a book from Hurrell that I hadn't seen before home from the library. I was fully expecting to enjoy the Hurrell more, but I was wrong! Steichen rocked!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

Well, he was a highly versatile photographer, esteemed in several genre; but I personally prefer his earlier "Pictorialist" style, especially portraits, to his later work.

Based on this thread I bought a copy and it is astounding. Looking forward to trying 8x10 B&W Portraits again and this is truly inspirational.

Swanky is exactly right
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I'm glad you liked it, Daniel! It blew me away.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I bought this book after the Art Institute of Chicago held a Steichen exhibit several years ago. Previous to the show, I had always thought of him as boring, but the show opened my eyes and now he's one of my favorite photographers.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Edward was instrumental in military photography during WW 1

'He later reflected: “The wartime problem of making sharp, clear pictures from a vibrating, speeding airplane ten to twenty thousand feet in the air had brought me a new kind of technical interest in photography. . . .'

https://www.artic.edu/exhibitions/18...nde-nast-years

World War I Album
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Steichen was amazing in his ability over the years to work in significantly different styles. My favorite is his even earlier "pictorialist" portraiture. I can't remember the name of the book, but it was in the rare book case of a particular bookstore with a price of around $700, so nothing I could afford, but did contain some of the most compelling portraiture I've ever seen, most of which I've never seen anywhere else with regard to Steichen's own work.