Thread: 8x10 Wet Plate Set Up

Foamer

8x10 Wet Plate Set Up

I started shooting 4x5 tin types back in August, added 5x7 in October with no problem, and think I've just bought an 8x10 Kodak 2D from a member here plus a 5x7 back from another. This morning I bought a Lund 8x10 silver tank plus a pour spout lid and enough silver to fill it. I have everything I need except a holder. Right now I have a Lund 4x5 wet plate holder and a Chamonix 5x7. The Lund is often difficult for me to close and can be fiddly. The Chamonix is beautiful and works very well but it does not take full size plates which is a pain in the ass. I want something better than the Lund that takes full sized 8x10. The Svedovsky looks promising and is priced relatively well, and the Stenopekia would probably work for me too. The Svedovsky is a traditional style with two slide that exit from the top of the holder. The Stenopekia has one slide that opens to expose the plate but the back is hinged along one side so it opens like a book. I always shoot in the field and will be using a box of some kind. At first I thought the Stenopekia might not work in a cramped box but thinking about it I could lay it along a side and open it so the back just leans up against the wall of the box, out of the way. It might actually be a better choice in that regard. I have enough lenses but am going to have Zimiba1 on ebay make an adapter lens board so I can use my lenses that are mounted to Technika 110 metal boards. Will also have him make me some new lens boards for my 19th C. brass lenses.

The only thing missing will be a dark box of some kind. I work out the back of my Subaru Forester most all the time and don't have a dark room at home (yet.) I could go two ways. A fast and easy way would be to buy one of the big black plastic storage tubs from Walmart etc and cut big holes in one side to mount sleeves. For the top instead of using the lid I could build a PVC tube frame that will support a black-out cloth tent top that rises a foot or two over the top edge that I could stick my whole head into. I could have a red LED light fastened to one or two of the PVC tubes for light. I think this would be easy to build and they are plenty big enough. My other route would be to build a PVC tube frame that fits into the back of my Subaru and then enclose it in a sort of bag made of light proof material. This would need to be sewn together by my wife but could give me something like 9 cubic feet! The tail gate opens from the top so I could simply attack the back part of the tent to that so it would fully enclose me.

I have enough lenses to start with but eventually will look for an 1860s or earlier 14-15 inch Petzval. I have a 12 inch Voigtlander Petval c.1862 and a couple of 14/15 inch pillbox lenses from 1854 and 1840s. Also have a few other anastigmat lenses from 1910 to 1935 that would work on 8x10. My plan is to mostly shoot wet plate--tin first then glass negs. Will also shoot Lane dry plates and possibly some b&w film. (I will be getting a film holder also.) The wet plate holder should be able to shoot wet plate & dry plate. Will probably buy at least one dry plate holder from Jason when available. I do have a Stearman SP810 tray coming any time now. The 8x10 will produce tins, ambros big enough to frame on their own. I also plan on getting into albumin contact prints in the coming year.

This is my plan at the moment. Any advice? Anything else I should be thinking about? Anyone using the Svedovsky or Stenopekia wet plate holders, or something else that's available and just as good?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: 8x10 Wet Plate Set Up

Hi Kent,

Regarding plate holders: I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think anyone makes an 8x10 plate holder that takes a plate exactly 8X10 inches - they're all "cut film sizes". I have the Chamonix 8x10 plate holder and it takes a plate 1/16th of an inch smaller than 8x10. Since you are going to be buying pre-cut trophy plate aluminum (or cutting your own glass) anyway, why is the size an issue? I was buying my plates from Main Trophy, and they ask you what size cut you want when you order, so you are getting it custom sized from them. If you find you have to buy plates that are exactly 8X10, then do what I did: buy a cheap old style paper cutter and trim them yourself, to fit.

Regarding Stenopekia: I recall that a friend bought one of their holders and it had problems with the dark slide being too close to the film plane and it would scrape the collodion sometimes. I'll ask and see how that was resolved. I would recommend the Chamonix, for sure. I have the Lund 4x5 holder and its the least pleasant to use, even compared to the hacked 5x7 holder I made myself.

As for lenses: nothing beats a good Petzval lens made for wet plate work. I have some modern, sharp-and-contrasty lenses and I find those the least appropriate for wet plate work: they are TOO sharp and contrasty. I have a couple of 1930's Kodak Anastigmat lenses and I like those a lot. Their contrast is a beautiful match for collodion. My Schneider Xenar is also a good match. My 12" Kodak Ektar from the 1950s is very good also, but I have to use it close to wide open or it gets too "edgy". YMMV of course.

If you already have a good bit of experience with making tintypes, then I highly recommend you try making your own collodion on glass negatives as well. They are beautiful, and a collodion negative can make the most wonderful silver gelatin prints (un-intensified negs). If you redevelop or intensify the negs with a bleach-and-silver redevelop process, they are good for albumen printing. Albumen prints require much more contrast and density than printing on silver gelatin papers. But none of that is especially difficult. Do you have John Coffer's manual? Its very complete and will provide everything you need to know for making collodion negatives and prepping them for albumen printing.

Foamer

Thanks Paul, did not know there were problems with the Stenopeika holder. It does take full sized 8x10. I've been shooting wet plate (tin) since last August and have made over 100 by now, both 4x5 and 5x7. Lenses. I have a huge Wollensak 12 inch Velostigmat that gives a very pleasant look but am mostly going to use period correct lenses. For that I have a 12 in. Voigtlander Petzval c.1862, 10 in. Horne/Thornwait/Wood Petzval c.1844, Edward Wood pillbox lens 15 in. c.1854, and a huge French landscape lens c.1840s FL=14 in. I might eventually buy a longer Petzval, pre-1860. I was hoping to find a holder besides Lund that takes exactly 8x10. I can buy pre-cut glass that way and it's a lot less hassle.

Thanks,
    Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Why not buy glass exactly how you want i? I bought 200 plates 5X7 nominal from Howard Glass 6 years ago and still have some. They are not 5x7...

I specified, glass type, color, size, thickness and polished edges. Packed very clean, maybe clean enough for any process, stacked with interleaved white paper, 50 plate packs in brown paper, then doubled boxed.

Not one broke in shipping and 3 mover moves.

Way nicer than window glass.

I don't recall the price and it is irrelevant now.

When https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-plate-holder shows up. I will order more to fit those.

http://www.howardglass.com/index.html
    Tin Can

Foamer

I have some of the dry plate holders coming but having seen one at Jason's house I'm not sure they will work for wet plate. Also getting camera now and don't want to wait several months.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I know you are industrious. I don't know what all those mentioned holders cost, but why not make your own film holder out of a plastic Lisco film holder? All you have to do is cut a hole in the septum, and glue some wires on the corners. Done. When nobody made wetplate holders, that's what we did.

Foamer

Decided on a Stenopeika holder. Takes full cut 8x10 and is heavy duty. Opens from the side like a book which I think will work for me in a travel set up. Samuel with sales said there was a problem with the first ones but that's been fixed. Camera is being finished, 5x7 back coming, Lund tank and extra silver coming, and I have two ideas on how to make a portable dark lab. It's all coming together!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria