Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

Re: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

Why should anyone care what you call it? The end result is a digital file. In many cases the one achieved through use of a digital camera system is superior to an Epson scan.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

A scanner is a camera, putting it together bit bit

Peter's camera scans section by section

Chicken or egg?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Why should anyone care what you call it? The end result is a digital file. In many cases the one achieved through use of a digital camera system is superior to an Epson scan.
    Peter, I would disagree with the superiority of scanning vs DSLR system. Unless you are doing macro work on a copy stand and using multiple images then stacked in PS your image quality in my experience is not on par. An epson scan at 2400 dpi would produced superior results on medium and large format (I don't know about 35mm as I don't shoot it) compared to a single image taken with a modern DSLR (30+ Megapixel).

I don't take a single shot. For 4x5, I take 25...automatically. I've tested both my system and an Epson with a high resolution chrome on glass target, as well as with a calibrated Stouffer stepwedge. My system, one with a lowly D600, outperforms the Epson by about 1000 spi, and it has at least 1 stop more dynamic range. Get a better camera, and this difference gets even greater.

My point, though, was that a scan is a copy. So is whatever one wants to call whatever my system produces. So, for that matter, is a print, although it's an inverted copy.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Addendum to my previous post:

EPSON PERFECTION V750 PRO verses Nikon D850.
    Both images made from shooting or scanning an area of approximately 22mm x 34mm on the color transparency, and both attached images were equally cropped. Cropped image width on the transparency was about 6.5mm.
    In Photoshop, both images Image>Auto Color & the V750 scanned image increased in contrast to match the contrast of the image made with the D850. No sharpening or any other adjustments done.

on the left: cropped image from my Nikon D850 with 120mm f/6.3 Macro-Nikkor aperture #3, image captured as a tiff file

on the right: cropped image from my EPSON PERFECTION V750 PRO scanned at 4800 dpi, image captured as a tiff file

Have started to digitize my films. Am now shooting in RAW with the D850.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120mm.jpg   V750.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg; 22-Dec-2019 at 15:44. Reason: added more info about the images

Thought I would loop in the other thread in where someone posts a picture of their copy stand setup for scanning via mirrorless digital camera:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ount-Kit/page9

I doubt EPSON Scanners are going to improve

Digital Cameras improve often

My first NIKON was 1.3 mp, I loved it, 21 years ago...

Before I came here in 2011, I read a lot about digi

The Megapixel Myth
    Tin Can

A lower cost scanning option is a used medium format flatbed such as the Epson V500 (under $100 these days). You can do two passes with the large format negative moved so each half is scanned. The photomerge feature in Photoshop does a good job of seamless stitching of the two scans. Takes a few minutes longer, but it is a workable solution if you are on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    A lower cost scanning option is a used medium format flatbed such as the Epson V500 (under $100 these days). You can do two passes with the large format negative moved so each half is scanned. The photomerge feature in Photoshop does a good job of seamless stitching of the two scans. Takes a few minutes longer, but it is a workable solution if you are on a budget.
    One thing to remember is that the glass in most scanners is recessed, so the film is not in contact with it except for the central area of the glass. When the negative is not in contact with the glass you will get a distorted scanned image. To prevent this on my EPSON V750, I only scan the negative in the central portion of the glass. For scanning 11x14 negatives I scan them with 12 overlapping scans. 6 overlapping scans work sometimes, but 12 overlapping scans always work. I a pain to do, but beats acquiring an Epson Expression 12000XL photo scanner which scans 11x14 negatives in 1 pass, but presently goes for $3,429.00. Have been working on trying to justify buying one, but first will have to sell some of my LF and ULF equipment to help pay for it.

Greg,

Couldn't you get a good Eversmart for that kind of money?