Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

Re: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

That's great info, Sandy.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

Sandy, thanks as well from me as that is very helpful information, especially as few have your depth of experience and have tested Epson -> camera "scanning" -> drum scanner for comparison.

Tom

If Sandy is happy, I am happy

Just read the specs on that camera and resulting file size

I will have to wait for next gen and save some coin...

Thank you Sandy!
    Tin Can

Someone on this forum is using the Panasonic S1R which I believe is relatively less expensive compared to the Sony A7R IV camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Someone on this forum is using the Panasonic S1R which I believe is relatively less expensive compared to the Sony A7R IV camera.
    That might be me. I just posted this video overview of Ektachrome in 6x6, which goes over the scans I made with the S1R in pixel shift mode. There are also some high resolution jpgs available for download.

https://www.northeastphotographic.co...achrome-tested

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    If Sandy is happy, I am happy

Just read the specs on that camera and resulting file size

I will have to wait for next gen and save some coin...

Thank you Sandy!
    You are very welcome.

The specs of the camera are pretty impressive, but some might find that simple three-shot stitch and merge with PS using a much less expensive 36mp-42mp Sony a7r or a7r11 (or equivalent) would give results that are just as good. But frankly it was quite surprising to me that the pixel shift technique gave such good results with a 5X7" negative. But that is due in part to the fact that in shooting 5X7 I almost always used apertures of f/22-f/45, which in itself limited actual resolution to 35-60 lpm, which corresponds roughly to the a7r iv 16 shot pixel shift potential, once we adjust size for resolution. That is, 200 lpm at sensor size of 1.4", 100 lpm at 2.8" print size, 50 lpm at 5.6" print size, and so on.

Best

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 7-Jan-2020 at 18:10.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    You are very welcome.

The specs of the camera are pretty impressive, but some might find that simple three-shot stitch and merge with PS using a much less expensive 36mp-42mp Sony a7r or a7r11 (or equivalent) would give results that are just as good. But frankly it was quite surprising to me that the pixel shift technique gave such good results with a 5X7" negative. But that is due in part to the fact that in shooting 5X7 I almost always used apertures of f/22-f/45, which in itself limited actual resolution to 35-60 lpm, which corresponds roughly to the a7r iv 16 shot pixel shift potential, once we adjust size for resolution. That is, 200 lpm at sensor size of 1.4", 100 lpm at 2.8" print size, 50 lpm at 5.6" print size, and so on.

Best

Sandy
    Do you plan on printing from these files? What would your minimum LPM be, considering according to your math you get to about 25 at 11". I've just don't normally think of print sizes in these terms.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Do you plan on printing from these files? What would your minimum LPM be, considering according to your math you get to about 25 at 11". I've just don't normally think of print sizes in these terms.
    Sure, I plan to make physical prints with the files. 25 lpm at 11" wide would give image resolution of approximately 1200 ppi, or at 22" on the long dimension of about 600 ppi. I use a RIP (QTR) that supports resolution up to about 14 lpm (720 ppi) with Epson printers and try to avoid interpolation so my plan would be to limit print size with these file to about 15X21" size.

https://www.pixelcalculator.com/inde...+++&select3=12

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon