Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad Flextight 343

Hasselblad Flextight 343

All,
    I’m working on a project that is all goes well should end in a exposition this year.

The images are back and white taken with a 4x5 camera.
    Normally I always scans my own images with a Epson 850 with the betterscanning holder and wet scanning. I’m not quite happy with my results, and believe me I have read almost every post about this topic. So I was thinking of using a professional scanning service, but where I live they only have a Hasselblad Flextight and this schold be better than my own scanning. But the price for once scan is about 60€ and I need at least 50 scans.

So now the my question, I can buy a secondhand Hasselblad Flextight 343 according to this forum it’s possible to scan 4x5 images but in two parts.
    The price of the scanner is 2.800€ to expensieve but perhaps I can get it 600€/800€ less ,to see it’s for sale for several months now.
    Do you thinks it’s still a good idea to invest in this scanner especially that the maintenance/parts will be difficult to get, and also where to look at when I’m going to see the scanner?

Thanks
    Patrick

Re: Hasselblad Flextight 343

The 343 is a really nice machine but I would think scanning 4x5s in two bites would be a bit of a hassle. I think those scanners are fairly reliable and there are small shops that do service them, though parts are not going to be available for long at least new.

Personally I think all the Imacon/Hasselblads are extremely over-priced. Their relative scarcity props up their value. I've obviously evangelized scanning with a mirrorless camera (I believe when well done it's capable of results beyond the Hasselblads, but not as good as drums...not a bad place to be!), but there are other options too such as a used Howtek drum or Creo scanner. For the price they're quoting you could even try to track down a Durst Sigma 45!

I will say the Imacons seem to hold their value, so if you do go that route you could probably get your investment back.

Depending on where you live in Belgium, you could consider scanning on a H'blad scanner at Calumet Rotterdam (https://www.calumetphoto.nl/store/rotterdam) for +/- €40 per hour. You do the scanning yourself, but staff there are very helpful to help you with settings etc. Call them to make a reservation.

@Jeroen,

Thank you I’ll keep this in mind. I live in Mechelen just in the middle between Antwerp & Brussel.
    The trip would +/- 2 hour drive, but Rotterdam is on my Architectural bucket list :-), could be the moment to ge there.

@sperdynamite,

I agree that the Hasselblad are overpriced, the Brand name I suppose?
    Yes I know all about the drum scanners when I started to work back in 1980 we where using a lot of drumscanners.
    I’ll think first going to try out one image or six and stich them together. Shall read the forums again about this topic (plenty of reading about this, and a lot of opinions)

Gr

Also what I has forgotten to mentions is the setup for the Flextight, I was ‘forced’ to upgraded to the latest version of MacOSX.
    My MacMini has no FireWire so this need a conversion piece, is the software 32bit then I have a real problem. At this time it seems a lot of work for scanning ...

you shld be able to get good 4x5 scans with the 850 and wet. What seems to be lacking in your scans ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Around here a used Hasselblad Imacon 646 Film Scanner with accessories goes for about $8,000.00. While back had access to one for several years and took full advantage of using it, especially on my roll film format negatives. Now use my Epson V750 Pro. For scans made from 4x5 B&W negatives and printed 16" x 20" on 17" x 22" paper, I personally see no sharpness difference with side by side final prints. Tonalities are different but so, so subtle that as not to being a factor. Larger prints, yes the Imacon scans are superior to the V750s. Last few years have been shooting LF and ULF and scanning the negatives on my V750 to make 1:1 "contact" alternative prints, so using a Imacon just not possible.

Just a side note: these H'blad machines are quite fragile and repairs can get *very* expensive. Calumet received a €3000+ repair bill recently. Scanning with a high end digital camera (Nikon d8xx, Sony A7R III/IV, Fuji GFX, etc) like @sperdynamite suggested may be a cheaper and safer option, and excellent results are achievable. There's plenty of information on this forum about it. Start here https://www.nidf.nl/reproductie.html (in Dutch only).

I have the impression that they are not quite sharp, a bit soft and I’m missing some details in leaves sometimes. Comparing to the original negative.
    Normally I use scharpening in Lightroom, but yesterday I have done some testing in Photoshop with the highpass filter with some good results.

I’m so used in the past working with high-end drumscanner that the whole idea could be in my head ...