Thread: Printing Cut Lines using Roll Paper - P6000

Printing Cut Lines using Roll Paper - P6000

When using a roll printer such as the P6000, let's say I want to make a print on 11x14 paper, and float the image with any given border. If I print from LR it will make cut lines around the image area itself, but it doesn't seem to allow me to put the cut lines around the paper size I'm targeting.

A better example would be someone ordering square images on 8x10 paper. Let's say I wanted to make a group all at once. I want to cut out the 8x10 sheets, not the square image within the 8x10 sheets. Any tips on how to do this easily? Or is this purely the territory of RIP software, something I'm trying to avoid.

Re: Printing Cut Lines using Roll Paper - P6000

Anyone?

It's easy enough to do in PS - make your canvas 11x14" & place your image as you wish. Not so sure about LR.

It's easy to do it with a single image, but I don't see the point of roll paper if I can't nest images. I just want a bunch of 8x10 sheets printed with 6x6" images in each sheet. A roll should allow me to do a series of these in one print job and then cut to size. All the software I've tried so far wants me to make canvas sizes that match the image proportions. Square images get square canvases so to speak. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    It's easy to do it with a single image, but I don't see the point of roll paper if I can't nest images. I just want a bunch of 8x10 sheets printed with 6x6" images in each sheet. A roll should allow me to do a series of these in one print job and then cut to size. All the software I've tried so far wants me to make canvas sizes that match the image proportions. Square images get square canvases so to speak. This doesn't make any sense to me.
    Unfortunately this is RIP territory with an Epson, unless you enjoy making imposition layouts in Photoshop - the Canon Pro-x000 series comes with what is effectively a RIP plugin and is one of several things that have made me happy to have escaped the Epson-verse where you get to pay twice, once for the printer and again for the software to actually get it to do the job you want!

In photoshop:

1. Fit each of your 6x6 into a 8x10 canvas. Use Canvas Size. Use Stroke to draw a 1 pixel border around them (an 8x10 rectangle).
    2. Create a new 24x24 or taller image with white background and the same bit depth and dpi as your 8x10 images.
    3. Drag and drop your 8x10s onto the larger 24x24 image. They will appear as separate layers. Rotate and Arrange them as needed. Photoshop will even help you with snapping them next to each other.
    4. Optionally flatten
    5. Print

ImagePrint RIP does nesting and cut lines - like it. It uses its own printer drivers

SergeyT has it right. I've been doing it basically this way for years, almost twenty to be exact and it's super fast and super easy. It just requires you to think a little bit about what you're doing. The only difference is that I use a slightly thicker stroke. I stroke usually four pixels. Easier to see and line up a straightedge for trimming, and if you stroke to the outside of the selection, it's exactly the same dimension anyway. There ARE times when a one pixel stroke won't print in one direction and the four pixel stroke always solves that.

So what I've started doing is creating templates in PS using the 'frame' tool. This allows me to drop an image in, save it as a JPG, then open it in LR for nesting. I can then tell LR to print cut lines etc.

Sergey's method also sounds like it would work but I'm just less comfortable in PS.

I would love to try ImagePrint but at $600 for the low end version of the software...I have to pass. Especially since I already make my own profiles.