Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FB Enlarging paper availability at B&H

FB Enlarging paper availability at B&H

I've been buying enlarging paper from B&H for many years. Lately they have less in stock & more items tagged "special order. Expected availability 2-4 weeks."
    I ordered some 16x20 Foma Variant lll (and paid on ordering plus shipping charges)
    on Sept 2..... It was delivered today Dec 16: 3 months later. Makes it tough to print a project with those kind of timelines. At the moment BH has only Ilford & a little Bergger in 16x20. From the outside it seems as if B&H is downsizing their enlarging paper inventory....

Re: FB Enlarging paper availability at B&H

I know that with Freestyle, they make bulk purchases a few times a year, but they can sell out stock in between, so a wait until the next container comes in...

I buy from them locally, but I make sure to call in advance to reserve what maybe is the last 3 or so in stock so it is there when I stop by...

Drew Wiley

You should plan to keep about six months worth of your preferred paper on hand unless its a very common Ilford product, and even certain Ilford papers can be unavailable for several months on end. It's probably a combination of several factors, including how often a particular paper is made and the amount the official importer brings in at a time. I see no evidence that B&H is lowering their commitment. You could ask them. But being a major dealer to many people, they might turn over inventory quite a bit faster too. Usually when they're out of something, so are other sources. Foma is a relatively minor player in the US, so that could be a factor too.

Andrej Gregov

That may not be a B&H issue. Foma often goes months with some paper types out of stock in the US. If you use Foma quite often, I'd suggest ordering from Freestyle. I find them more reliable for Foma inventory. That said, I've sometimes waited months for Foma to restock them. Paper manufacturer does make a difference.

Thanks all. It looks like a Foma issue. Too bad, since i really like the paper....much more so than Ilford Classic. As i mentioned above B&H has very little in stock in FB 16x20 which...used to be a very common size. Drew, I may as you suggested give them a call.... but they were noticeably unhelpful during the 3 month wait.

@Greg Y, have you considered fotoimpex? I've ordered several 100-sheet boxes from them over the past couple of years and they're very reliable. I tend to make a larger order when I do order to mitigate the shipping cost.

Thank you Alan, i may well consider them. BH free shipping has been an incentive in the past.

its very sad to see how little B&H has in the store as well. their darkroom supply section has dwindled to one rack. paper is a sad selection of what seems to be slow movers.

B&H mail order is the best way to go now. they ship fast n its free.

Drew Wiley

I've heard that. But maybe their much bigger warehouse inventory doesn't even need to be pushed in the store. That kind of retailing might be secondary business to them now; same goes for Freestyle. It's remarkable how fast they get goods to me, clear across the country. But
    Foma is more the kind of brand Freestyle pushes, and I know that some of their private-label Arista products are Foma mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Foma is more the kind of brand Freestyle pushes, and I know that some of their private-label Arista products are Foma mfg.
    Oddly enough, at Freestyle both Arista & Foma Variant (16x20x25shts) are identically priced..... so what's the incentive to buy the house brand, considering one doesn't know exactly what product it is?