Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FB Enlarging paper availability at B&H

Re: FB Enlarging paper availability at B&H

Although I've been buying from B+H for ages, and while most of my students over the years as well as (it seems) lots of folks on this forum have visited B+H in person, I have never done this. Such a visit has been on my bucket-list forever it seems - but now...learning about what sounds like a very small number of film related products actually on display there - I'm thinking that a visit now might just be too depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Although I've been buying from B+H for ages, and while most of my students over the years as well as (it seems) lots of folks on this forum have visited B+H in person, I have never done this. Such a visit has been on my bucket-list forever it seems - but now...learning about what sounds like a very small number of film related products actually on display there - I'm thinking that a visit now might just be too depressing.
    Why. You could also visit Adorama and K&M in Manhattan and possibly go see Unique in NJ a short ride away.

I've never used Foma, but Bergger Neutral is now my main paper. Maybe give that paper a whirl ? I'm also still trying to figure out the new Oriental, cuz the price is sooooo good.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I haven't been there in years (I live on the other side of the country), but I'm sure there's something to look at. Although the art gallery scene in Manhattan has changed a lot, there would surely be some exhibitions in the area worth going to as well. (Don't forget, B&H is closed on Saturdays, art galleries often closed Sunday and Monday, museum closing days vary.)

In the early 90s before they opened the current superstore/showroom, IIRC, B&H had a smaller storefront near 6th Av that was basically a counter where most of the goods were in the back, and there was less to gawk at. You went up to the counter (I think it was always crowded), told them what you needed, and someone picked the order for you and it came out from the back. There were things on display in the front, but a tiny fraction of what they carried.

Drew Wiley

I remember when Gasser in SF had all their film and paper in a back room. You went to the designated counter and asked. What's to see about a box anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I remember when Gasser in SF had all their film and paper in a back room. You went to the designated counter and asked. What's to see about a box anyway?
    You mean with Ernie in the basement? Used to have to inventory our Gepe mounts down there!

Drew Wiley

You have quite a memory, Bob!

You have quite a memory, Bob!
    If you had to make your way behind that counter you would too. Especially if you ever used the bathroom down there!

Drew Wiley

They did call it the basement, now that you remind me. It was down a minor set of stairs below the Large Format counter. Never used their bathroom. Was there Dektol in the bowl?

They did call it the basement, now that you remind me. It was down a minor set of stairs below the Large Format counter. Never used their bathroom. Was there Dektol in the bowl?
    Not quite, tried not to look too closely.