Thread: Special production run of extended lensboard similar to Beseler #8088

Do or do not. There is no try.

Special production run of extended lensboard similar to Beseler #8088

The Beseler 8088 lensboard was designed specifically for the 150mm Apo-Componon-HM enlarging lens, which was difficult to place and remove on a Beseler 4x5 enlarger when mounted on a flat lensboard. It gave about 1" of extension, which sufficed for the rear element to clear the housing. Beseler lists it as discontinued, although B+H show it as a special-order item here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nsion_for.html

I will be making the functional equivalent of this board with a 50mm mounting hole (the 8088 had a 55mm hole, I believe) for my recently-acquired 180mm Componon S. Unlike the original version, which is assembled from pieces, I'm planning to machine it from a single piece of aluminum in a friend's 100%-CNC machine shop. While we were discussing this project he asked me if there's wider interest in these. Once the machine is programmed, the effort involved in making additional copies is low, primarily material cost and machine time. He estimated the unit cost at about US$100 exclusive of shipping.

So I put it to the community at large - does anyone else want one of these with either 50mm or 55mm mounting hole? Please respond here rather than by private message. We will definitely be making one for me, the question is whether to order additional materials to produce more. The deadline for expressing your interest is December 31, 2019. I'll order materials sufficient to produce the number requested early in the new year. This is a one-time opportunity - we have no plans to do this a second time.

I've posted this on both the Large Format Photography Forum and on Photrio, please only respond in one place so I don't double-count.

umop episdn

Re: Special production run of extended lensboard similar to Beseler #8088

Steve, I'd be interested in one, maybe two. Just would like to make sure though--you are talking about the Schneider 150mm APO Componon HM f/4, with the translucent cone that surrounds the rear element? On mine that cone around the rear element makes the entire lens 65mm edge to edge across, so I'd want to be sure it'd fit in the recess of the board you want to make. I've got a 210mm f/5.6 Componon-S with the same setup. A translucent ring around the rear element, also 65mm across. It'd be fun to use that one too, again if it'll fit.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Hi Danny,

Yes, that was the 150mm Apo-Componon-HM f/4. I used to have one, and the special mounting board, but foolishly sold both some time ago. It was a little tricky to mount it on the Beseler board because the back board had a round hole and there wasn't a lot of spanner clearance. And because of the recess and the relatively tight hole it was challenging to screw in the rear cell with the light-piping shroud. I've never seen a 210 Componon-S except in Schneider's literature and on eBay.

These boards will be machined from solid blocks of aluminum with a 3" square cavity and the interior corners will have a 1/4" or 1/2" radius. I was just doing up a drawing today.

Please let me know what size mounting hole(s) you want, taking into account if there's any lip on the lens or its mounting ring. These boards will not be threaded, you'll need to use a mounting ring. According to Schneider's literature, the 180 is threaded 50x0.75 while the 210 and 150HM are both 55x0.75.

Best to take further details to email.

umop episdn

Will do Steve. I can send you a few photos of the enlarger to check the fit beforehand and lenses to compare that way too.