Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info request on Zone VI camera

Info request on Zone VI camera

I've been out of the LF game for a few years now, having sold my entire kit back in 2014 (and regretting it since). I'm finally starting to dabble again and will be taking a look at a Zone VI I found locally. I don't know much about Zone VI and what little I did I seem to have forgotten. I know they rebadged cameras from several different makers and I think sold one or two of their own as well. Which of those is this one? I'd like to know the exact model if possible so I can do a little research and make sure I don't end up paying too much. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 78657879_1060751947598111_1830614885185093632_o.jpg   79120455_1060752180931421_7886305304080547840_o.jpg   79483215_1060752114264761_7693461946800013312_o.jpg   79732858_1060752000931439_3523064692547256320_o.jpg  

Re: Info request on Zone VI camera

That looks like the last, "ultralight" model offered by Calumet (who had bought Z-VI from Fred Picker). So made around the late 1990s. The earlier model (non- ultralight) had gold-plated brass fittings. A fine camera; I've been using mine since 1992. I believe that Richard Ritter, on this forum, had a hand in designing and building these cameras. Perhaps he'll offer more accurate information.

Plus 1. It is a Zone VI Ultralight. I worked for Calumet in the late '90's early '00's and sold many of these and the standard models with brass hardware. I always felt the brass hardware ran smoother than the anodized aluminum. YMMV Very good, usable cameras either way.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Nice, thanks for the info, both of you. I'll be taking a look at it tomorrow and most likely bringing it home with me.

Tracy,

Which lens boards did the late production Zone VI cameras take? Was it Linhof Technika style or were they proprietary to that camera? The reason I ask is I have a pile of wooden lens boards that don't fit anything I shoot with but I think they fit a later Zone VI.

-Joshua

They took VERY common 4"x4" wooden lensboards. Since Zone VI offered the cameras in a couple different woods over the years (mostly Mahogany, but sometimes Cherry , and maybe even Walnut) the ZVI brand boards were birch plywood with different top veneers. The rebate was wider on these boards than Graflex or Deardorff 4"x4" boards, so, you could use a Zone VI board on many cameras, but older boards (for Deardorff and Graflex) would not fit the ZVI.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    Tracy,
    Which lens boards did the late production Zone VI cameras take? Was it Linhof Technika style or were they proprietary to that camera? The reason I ask is I have a pile of wooden lens boards that don't fit anything I shoot with but I think they fit a later Zone VI.

-Joshua
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I own a late model non-ultralight Zone VI camera w/ bail back. It's pretty heavy compared to my Wista DX, but has a gratifying amount of bellows draw for use with longer lenses. I did have a bit of a problem with shorter lenses and the standard bellows. I've been looking for a bag bellows and/or toying with the idea of making a universal-style bellows for the the thing but have solved the problem provisionally by modifying the front standard a bit and making an adapter for Technika-style lensboards so I can use recessed boards with my 90mm and shorter lenses.

If you have lots of lenses mounted on Technika-type boards like I do, it's not all that difficult to make an adapter. You need a thin 4x4 plate with a hole cut to fit the round Technika baffle to which you can glue strips of whatever you like to take up the slack on the sides of the Technika board; EZPZ. I did this with my old Graphic View too.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Thanks for the insight Tracy!

-Joshua

Ricard Ritter made an adapter to fit my Technkia/ Wista boards. Very convenient when you have several cameras.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

That's a smart design and sales idea.

Sell more that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    They took VERY common 4"x4" wooden lensboards. Since Zone VI offered the cameras in a couple different woods over the years (mostly Mahogany, but sometimes Cherry , and maybe even Walnut) the ZVI brand boards were birch plywood with different top veneers. The rebate was wider on these boards than Graflex or Deardorff 4"x4" boards, so, you could use a Zone VI board on many cameras, but older boards (for Deardorff and Graflex) would not fit the ZVI.
    Tin Can