Thread: Using Pyrocat HD in a CPP3/BW Process Questions

Using Pyrocat HD in a CPP3/BW Process Questions

I've just about finished getting my new (to me) CPP3 set up. It's an impressive machine! I'm going to be running 4x5 and 8x10 in Pyrocat HD (and at times simple D76), and fixing with TF4.

Do you have a recommended rotation speed? It almost seems like at the slower rotations that the drum doesn't travel the full 360...though it's a bit hard to tell. If anyone has times and temps and speeds for their favorite films I'd be interested in hearing them.

In small tanks I generally use water as a stop with TF4, as is recommended. However in the Jobo it seems like just using a standard stop bath would be more effective. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I was thinking that 120 and 35 would still be done in small tanks, so I can generate some edge effects.

Cheers!

Re: Using Pyrocat HD in a CPP3/BW Process Questions

I have the CPA-2, and I doubt if rotation differences exist between the two. Somewhere along the line I read that the 4 setting was recommended for the Expert series, and that's what I've used for several years. The images are superbly developed, even if I do suck as a photographer.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have a CPP-2 and have processed LF film in Expert Drums for many years using Pyrocat-HD at 1:1:100 and at 2:2:100 (for alt process.) IMO, running the drum at speed 4 is too fast for any staining developer due to possible oxidation. I spin the drum using the slowest speed possible and never had any issues. Best to do your own testing to arrive at proper development times for your chosen film(s). As a starting point, use times from the Massive Dev Chart and reduce by about 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I have a CPP-2 and have processed LF film in Expert Drums for many years using Pyrocat-HD at 1:1:100 and at 2:2:100 (for alt process.) IMO, running the drum at speed 4 is too fast for any staining developer due to possible oxidation. I spin the drum using the slowest speed possible and never had any issues. Best to do your own testing to arrive at proper development times for your chosen film(s). As a starting point, use times from the Massive Dev Chart and reduce by about 15%.
    I do exactly the same as this and it gives great results in the Expert Drums. I’ve had issues with ULF in other larger drums where the ribs have given uneven development with Pyrocat-HD. Also use a water stop and TF4.