Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: portrait lens that will fold inside crown graphic

portrait lens that will fold inside crown graphic

I was recently given a crown graphic 4x5 with 135mm xenar lens. What lenses of typical portrait length, 180-240mm, will fold up inside the camera?
    How hard is it to find cams for the top rangefinder crown graphic rangefinders?
    Ben

Re: portrait lens that will fold inside crown graphic

Define "portrait lens" beyond focal length.

Bernice

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Haning View Post
    I was recently given a crown graphic 4x5 with 135mm xenar lens. What lenses of typical portrait length, 180-240mm, will fold up inside the camera?
    How hard is it to find cams for the top rangefinder crown graphic rangefinders?
    Ben
    Doubt many if any of lenses in your wanted FL will fold up a crown or speed. Also consider a 240 plasmat wont get you to portrait distance on either a crown or speed. A 240 tele lens may get you close enough for say, 3/4 portrait but will not fold up in a crown or speed for sure.
    You'll have do your own digging around the net to see if there is an solution to making your own cams for top mounted. I do know it's not easy/easier to find any but the 127-135 range cams but that doesn't mean impossible just may take time, patients & luck.

I guess by "portrait" I mean a lens that would work well for close up head/head and shoulder views with little distortion of facial features. In my 35mm experience I like the 70mm look for most subjects.

The 203mm Optar/Ektar lenses aren't technically portrait lenses but can do a really nice job at many things.

The problem would be if you were shooting a head shot, you would be close to the subject, but the Graphic only had double extension bellows which might be totally extended but not focusing close enough...So your choice of FL will be limited when working up close... It might only work with a 150 or maybe a 180mm, but by using a close up lens attachment, you might be able to save it...

I don't know for sure, but the camera bellows extension is very limited...

Steve K

240mm on 4x5 equals, more or less, the 70mm f.l. on 35mm. But any 240 you can find won't close on a Graphic.
    Perhaps a Goerz 9-1/2" f/9 Artar... but that lens is razor-sharp and a slow f/9 to boot.
    I have a 10" Graflex Tele-Optar but I've only used it on my 3x4 Speed- and it's too big for that camera to close, too. I can't even say if it will cover 4x5 at portrait distances, but it might. Perhaps someone else will know for sure.

Edit/ I just checked a beater Pacemaker CG near me and see under 12" of extension, so very limited extension...

Try focusing up close with your 135mm, and see if it crop down to head shot range as a test, and check how much bellows extension is left (I doubt very much)... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    The problem would be if you were shooting a head shot, you would be close to the subject, but the Graphic only had double extension bellows which might be totally extended but not focusing close enough...So your choice of FL will be limited when working up close... It might only work with a 150 or maybe a 180mm, but by using a close up lens attachment, you might be able to save it...

I don't know for sure, but the camera bellows extension is very limited...

Steve K
    Although a portrait length won’t fold into the camera you might look at a Technika lV, V or Master. Cams for lenses from 72 to 360mm are easily available as our infinity stops and focus scales, they have a triple extension bellows and extended lens boards are available for increased extension. It rangefinder couples and it’s optional viewfinder corrects for field size and parallax for all focal lengths for 45 from 72 to 360mm. It also accepts a supurb Anatomical grip that adjusts for virtually hand size and angle and accepts a cable release for very convenient. The cable detaches from the grip for gg focusing, composing and shooting. Longest lens that will fold into it is a 150mm.

Being an all metal camera with full movements front and back it will be heavier the a press camera, but it can do much more then a press camera!!!

I can tell you that a Fuji 150mm f/6.3 (inside writing) in a Seiko shutter fits inside a closed Pacemaker Crown Graphic. Hope this helps...