Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LPL 4500 or a....

Re: LPL 4500 or a....

I knew this was the right site to ask! talk about replies

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
    C670MXL, which will handle up to 6x7 negatives. KHB has a great resource site for LPL.
    Well now I know what to replace the Focomat with if I cant find the parts I need, thanks . There is a 670vcce on ebay w/ neg carries and lens for less then a new bulb and lens for the Focomat! I actually emailed KHB a similar question ( never thought they would reply ), Kevin was like its high for privet seller but not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    the LPL with the 35mm mixing box is the best 35mm enlarger I've ever used.
    Wow you like the LPL over your Focomat! Oh man i've never used it for anything but 4x5 and like 6x6, I have read about the 35mm mixing box but had no idea there was one for MF.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    The main issue with the LPL is the lack of adjusting facilities.
    well if thats the main issue I can live with that! I would love to have a dedicated MF & LF but I have limited space and don't own a home so I play the relocation game with my darkroom more then I would like to hints why it was in storage for so long. Currently I have about 9-12 month in the space im going in now before they tear the whole building down. Free rent is hard to find I did love my 45MXT not much but it was a tank.
    Last edited by lostlabs; 11-Dec-2019 at 10:14. Reason: forget

I own an LPL and two Beselers...one 4x5 and one 5x7. The LPL is far and away the best enlarger I've ever used. I've seen them pop up for as little as $500.00 (once, anyway.) Bulbs are readily available, as are negative carriers and lens boards. Doubt you'll find much need for parts, as they're built like an aircraft carrier...except they won't float.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Highly recommend a Durst Laborator Ce 1000 or L1200 (I have and use the former) with the color head.
    I've never used a Durst they had one in my college but they look so complex I never gave it a chance, like it looked like a cold war era but im ganna dive in and do some research on it and the ZONE VI, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    The main issue with the LPL is the lack of adjusting facilities...
    That's not a serious issue. If the enlarger is a factory matched column, baseboard and head assembly, they are precision aligned at the factory and it would take a very serious jolt to knock it out of alignment. If that happens, you'll most likely have more than alignment to worry about. Conversely, if someone sells you a mismatched set (which would pretty much mean they cobbled it together out of parts), you'll never get it aligned if it is out of alignment. Unless, of course you are, or know, a very good machinist.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by lostlabs View Post
    Oh man this brings up a more important question the LPL Im looking to buy is set up for 35mm assuming is has a 35mm mixing box in it what box do I need for LF and are they around? also how does one know the difference in the boxes are they marked?
    I suspect most users stuck with the default 4x5 mixing box even if they used the enlarger for 35mm. I certainly don't swap the mixing box when I print smaller formats.

The replacement 4x5 mixing box is LPL part number 3621-02, but it's expensive and is currently out of stock at KHB. Ask the seller about it; if he doesn't know, and if you don't have access to the enlarger to open the head and see for yourself, I would pass and look for one where you can confirm that it has the 4x5 box.

All the talk about mixing boxes got me thinking, LPL Im looking to buy is set up for 35mm assuming is has a 35mm mixing box in it what box do I need for LF and are they around? also how does one know the difference in the boxes are they marked?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I suspect most users stuck with the default 4x5 mixing box even if they used the enlarger for 35mm. I certainly don't swap the mixing box when I print smaller formats.

The replacement 4x5 mixing box is LPL part number 3621-02, but it's expensive and is currently out of stock at KHB. Ask the seller about it; if he doesn't know, and if you don't have access to the enlarger to open the head and see for yourself, I would pass and look for one where you can confirm that it has the 4x5 box.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Conversely, if someone sells you a mismatched set (which would pretty much mean they cobbled it together out of parts), you'll never get it aligned if it is out of alignment. Unless, of course you are, or know, a very good machinist.
    Is there any way to tell if its been "cobbled" together?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    like an aircraft carrier...except they won't float.