Thread: Kodak Master View 8x10 GG problem and replacement

Kodak Master View 8x10 GG problem and replacement

Hey everyone - Sadly I tried cleaning my original mint KMV 8x10 ground glass today with a little room temp water and the very moment the water touched the surface of the glass its started to completely bubble up. (So I guess they are frosted decals?) Now the glass is nearly unusable because of the uneven opacity of the glass. I am honestly heartbroken about this because I know people love this original GG. Wow I am just so bummed

But I have to move onward and upward because I need to use the camera. What would be the best replacement GG for the KMV 8x10 specifically? I would love to keep some kind of grid lines like the original glass had.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 6.29.34 PM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	198380

Re: Kodak Master View 8x10 GG problem and replacement

Wow! That is too bad. I knew it was a coating, but not that sensitive. I really like mine and will now be even more careful.

If it is totally ruined, why not clean it off, to clear glass and hand grind the replacement on the same glass.

I have made a few GG by hand and prefer them as I can make it how I like it, which is a very fine grind.

There are many tutorials on how to do it. Google will find them.
    Tin Can

Ahh interesting. I might want to start thinking about that. I'm going to let it dry out for a few days and see if it comes back to life.

I've heard some people talk about bright screens or yankee screens or maxwells.

Anyone have experience with those on the KMV? Would they be significantly brighter and easier to use?

Clean off and put on new decals? https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-1mm-Str.../273923692743?

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by wuckyboy View Post
    Ahh interesting. I might want to start thinking about that. I'm going to let it dry out for a few days and see if it comes back to life.

I've heard some people talk about bright screens or yankee screens or maxwells.

Anyone have experience with those on the KMV? Would they be significantly brighter and easier to use?
    I have tried both Bright Screens and Maxwells. I gave up on both and wentback to makngmy own GG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have tried both Bright Screens and Maxwells. I gave up on both and wentback to makngmy own GG.
    Ahh interesting. OK thank you for letting me know. Did you find the Maxwells a pain or hard to focus accurately?

I was thinking of even putting the normal grid GG that KB Canham uses. That might be a good choice too?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

I scribe my own grids. First the desired pattern is laid out on paper. The ground glass is taped down over the pattern, ground side up. A sharp tool, perhaps a needle in a pin vise, scribes the lines with the pattern and perhaps a ruler as a guide. This leaves thin bright lines on the GG which are less obtrusive than lines produced by some other techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by wuckyboy View Post
    Ahh interesting. OK thank you for letting me know. Did you find the Maxwells a pain or hard to focus accurately?

I was thinking of even putting the normal grid GG that KB Canham uses. That might be a good choice too?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Yes,hard to focus. The Canham isn't a bad choice if you don't wish to make your own.