Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista VX + Kodak Ektar 8 1/2 inch lens - lensboard?

Wista VX + Kodak Ektar 8 1/2 inch lens - lensboard?

I have a nice Commercial Ektar 8 1/2 inch lens in a No 3 Acme Ilex shutter. I'd love to use it with my Wista VX for detail shots of architecture... The front standard of the VX is pretty compact, I think I'll need a lens board that extends out a bit to work with it. Does this exist? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, beyond that it needs to be a Linhof board, I believe.

(Photo of the lens on a Bender, for reference)

Re: Wista VX + Kodak Ektar 8 1/2 inch lens - lensboard?

A Wista extension board.

That shutter should fit on a standard 'Technika' style board with no problem. You just need one with a hole drilled for an Ilex #3. Shouldn't be too hard to find one; check at SK Grimes' site, they may list the proper opening size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    That shutter should fit on a standard 'Technika' style board with no problem. You just need one with a hole drilled for an Ilex #3. Shouldn't be too hard to find one; check at SK Grimes' site, they may list the proper opening size.
    No need to check. Just order a 3 hole Wista or Linhof Technika board. They will have the correct 3 size hole. Not the 3S hole.

I did a bit of an internet search, and couldn't find one for an Ilex #3 yet. Will have to keep searching. I like the idea of getting an extension, I think with a flat board the shutter will be awfully tight against the front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No need to check. Just order a 3 hole Wista or Linhof Technika board. They will have the correct 3 size hole. Not the 3S hole.

Looking around online, I have yet to find anyone that sells this. Ilex #3 is just under 2 inches in diameter, worst case I'll get something with a smaller opening, and take a 2" hole saw to it with a drill press.

per SK Grimes, the proper lens board hole diameter for your Ilex No.3 is 1.985".
    The Ilex is smaller than the more common Copal or Compur #3 shutters, which may cause some confusion in searching.
    Wish I could point you to a source for the right board- they must be out there. Of course SKG or any camera repair shop can mount your lens, for a price.
    By the way, you have an excellent lens there!

Tin Can

per SK Grimes, the proper lens board hole diameter for your Ilex No.3 is 1.985".
    The Ilex is smaller than the more common Copal or Compur #3 shutters, which may cause some confusion in searching.
    Wish I could point you to a source for the right board- they must be out there. Of course SKG or any camera repair shop can mount your lens, for a price.
    By the way, you have an excellent lens there!
    Thanks! I've shot with it a bit, on my bender 4x5. It does produce very nice images, and is super fun to use. The bender doesn't get out much any more, too bulky to hike, and it has an annoying light leak at the film holder I haven't been able to reliably fix. The Wista is pretty solid, so I'm hoping I can move it over.

Tin Can