Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x8.5

6.5x8.5

Greetings. I am considering an Okuhara 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 I found online. Will the Rittreck holders fit? I am also wondering about the availability of film. Any help will be greatly appreciated. -Jim

Re: 6.5x8.5

The old Japanese whole-plate cameras that you see on eBay generally take proprietary book-form film/plate holders rather than modern block-form film/plate holders like the Rittreck holders. You would have to have a new back made if you want to use the Rittreck holders, or other modern whole-plate cut film holders such as the ones currently offered by Chamonix.

Acquired a 6.5x8.5 Chamonix a few years ago. After I acquired the camera to save $$$, I bought I believe, 6 older holders off eBay for little money, figuring that I would restore them. Of the six holders, only one fit the Chamonix, and the rest couldn't be used with the Chamonix. In the end just bought some new 6.5x8.5 Chamonix holders and never looked back. Just be aware that, per my experience, there are a lot of different kinds of 6.5x8.5 holders out there. Over the years have also purchased many types/brands of 8x10 holders and all could be used with my 8x10 Sinar Norma. From my experience, there are a lot of different 6.5x8.5 holders out there that are not standardized/interchangeable, but not so with 8x10 holders...

Greg, what you're talking about is the variation in dimensions of block-form holders in the WP format. And that is a real issue. But the OP is asking about a camera that takes book-form holders, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. No block-form holders will fit, regardless of dimensions.

Perfect sized print!

Have just restored a full plate camera (old Eastman, built in Britain) which came with 3 matching plate holders. I'm still looking to acquire some film to try out the camera. However as it seems, full plate film is one of the hardest to find - ASAIK only Ilford is making it once a year but in that case you have to buy a certain quantity.

My Flickr

Hi Ron/Jim

Have you considered asking https://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/filme/planfilme/ if Adox are able to supply (even though this isn't mentioned on said website)......?

regards

Andrew

Just a further thought

The Whole Plate format seems to have been popular/is fairly popular in Japan. 'kumar' who frequently sells on here and who is a very highly rated seller may be able to help you out, who knows he may be able to source an entire kit for the OP

regards

Andrew

I would also recommend contacting Kumar. I bought a Tachihara whole plate camera with film holders from him earlier this year. For film I bought some 8x10 xray film and a rotary cutter and cut 1.5 inches off each side. Since xray film is not sensitive to red light I can cut the film and load the film holders under a red safe light. The xray film costs about a dollar a sheet so it seems like one way to lower the cost of shooting whole plate.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    ASAIK only Ilford is making it once a year but in that case you have to buy a certain quantity.
    No, the point of the annual special program has been that there is no minimum quantity required, at least for sheet film (there has been for some roll films, because of the procedures required for cutting those). If you want to order outside of the special program, at other times during the year, then there would be a substantial minimum required.