Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly in Manhattan?!

Suddenly in Manhattan?!

A spot opened up for a day trip to Manhattan. We get dropped off by Rockefeller center.
    Suggestions for places to visit? I can see that MOMA is within a short walk.

It would be kinda fun to be the opposite of the tourist photographer, and drag a tripod and 5x7 around, but I'll be honest, I think that would just be looking for trouble.

It might be fun to re-photograph the Flatiron from the same position that Stieglitz did, though.

Zebra

Re: Suddenly in Manhattan?!

Flatiron has scaffolding all over right now as an FYI

Monty

Rockefeller Center is a good place to start. You have the CHristmas tree, ice skating, and all the people. Across the street is St Patricks Cathedral. You can eat (expensive) at Top of the ROck that also has an observation deck for rooftop views of the city. YOu may be able to do just the view, but I'm not sure. Call them.

Here's a walking tour less than two miles. Start at Rockefeller Center christmas tree. The St Pats cathedral. Then walk up 5th Avenue where the great shopping stores are. Hit Central Park and visit the zoo, then ice skating rink walking through the park. Then walk down Ave of the Americas (6th Avenue) back to Rock Center and get a great (expensive) meal at Top of the Rock where you can shoot sky vistas of the Big Apple from the roof there.
    https://goo.gl/maps/rLeNE4Pd2dCQQCkq5

Monty,
    That's good to know. Might still be interesting, but not the shot I had envisioned.

Alan,
    That's a great walking tour! I think I'll spend the afternoon poking at maps using that!

Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Frostmill View Post
    It would be kinda fun to be the opposite of the tourist photographer, and drag a tripod and 5x7 around, but I'll be honest, I think that would just be looking for trouble.
    Especially around the holidays, expect to be stopped multiple times. Carried a f/64 backpack with my 8x10 outfit there one time and was stopped a number of times. Just be polite, use the word "Sir" or "Mam", and offer to open up your camera case. Always ended with the officer smiling and wishing me to have a good time in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Especially around the holidays, expect to be stopped multiple times. Carried a f/64 backpack with my 8x10 outfit there one time and was stopped a number of times. Just be polite, use the word "Sir" or "Mam", and offer to open up your camera case. Always ended with the officer smiling and wishing me to have a good time in NYC.
    With so many tourists around and the crowds this time of the year, you're going to be a hazard with a big tripod and its legs sticking out. Even if the cops don;t say anything, you're going to wind up tripping people. I'd save the big camera for another trip in less crowded areas. Take a small camera and enjoy the walking tour as well. If you're going with your wife, she'll appreciate your spending your time with her and enjoying more things together. Take her to Radio City Music hall or a Broadway show, if you have time, and she'll love you for it. Then when you get home you can ask her if she minds you taking the trip by yourself to shoot the Flatiron Bldg in snow. Oh, here's my shots of it. No snow though.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...7625796644064/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...7625796644064/

I'd probably visit bhphoto's store if open... Then find galleries and museums of interest.

more than likely tou will be pushed along by police because using a large camera and tripod normally requires a permit to use in nyc. you are considered a professional plus you are blocking pedestrian egress. you would do much better with a hand held medium format camera.

you can check the rules by googling photography rules nyc.

ill post a link in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    more than likely tou will be pushed along by police because using a large camera and tripod normally requires a permit to use in nyc. you are considered a professional plus you are blocking pedestrian egress. you would do much better with a hand held medium format camera.

you can check the rules by googling photography rules nyc.

ill post a link in a few minutes.
    That is for film crews. Not for individual shooters. But if you are going to bring sound, lighting, makeup, actors, directors with you then these rules do apply to you.

Use common sense where and when you shoot and decide if you will impede traffic or pedestrian movement before you setup your tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That is for film crews. Not for individual shooters. But if you are going to bring sound, lighting, makeup, actors, directors with you then these rules do apply to you.

Use common sense where and when you shoot and decide if you will impede traffic or pedestrian movement before you setup your tripod.
    tell it to the judge!

the cops dont care who or what you are doing with a large camera on a tripod that impeads pedestrian traffic. you will definately be pushed along. this time of year, the sidewalks are moving meat jello 24 hours everyday.

ive been pushed along n even threatened with arrest when arguing the law with a cop who has sore feet n tied of seeing tourists n answering stupid questions all day.

if you want pictures... hand held is the only way thats going to happen.