Thread: FLM CP38-L4 series 2 tripod with HB100 half ball

NW2Wheeler

FLM CP38-L4 series 2 tripod with HB100 half ball

Does anyone have experience using the above combination in landscape photography ?

I would be interested in their views on using a 100mm video bowl head vs. a ball head set-up as far as set up time (leveling in both planes).
    I am aware I will have to get the tripod bowl within about 15-20 degrees of level in both planes before trying to level the camera.

My current tripod is a RRS TVC-23 with a FLM CB48FTR ball head.
    The camera will be a Toyo 45A.

The CP38 will give me a maximum height increase of over 11" compared with the TVC-23 with only about a 469g increase in weight.
    This will be useful in certain situations - mainly, shooting in a steep hillside situation.

Thanks to all for their input.

Re: FLM CP38-L4 series 2 tripod with HB100 half ball

I have that set but I don’t use it on steep slope

My arthritic hands can easily adjust the legs as the grips are large diameter and easy to access

The 100mm ball head tightens snuggly but with difficulty for ME.

My hands are not large but barely close tight enough to grasp the sharp edged knob and interfere with the legs

I would like the HB100 to have a bigger smoother knob WITH a 100mm longer shaft

The longer shaft will make adjusting it easier with a longer lever moment and fit larger hands perhaps wearing gloves

This production change would not increase weight much and not get in the way at any time

I will gladly buy a new and improved HB 100

I really like the tripod!
    Tin Can

I'm the distributor for FLM, and I also use a levelling ball for all my LF work; the ball head is taken out only when a shot requires placement of the camera more than 15˚ up or down.
    The half ball/tripod combination is great, as it's lighter and more compact than using a ball head.

The HB-100 doesn't have a built-in bubble level, but I hope there will be such an addition in 2020. Same goes for a longer handle on our half ball units.
    If you want a longer handle and bubble level now, the CP38 will accept any standard-size 100 half ball from other manufacturers.

Set-up time is quick, as the grips need a 1/2 turn to loosen, and the tubes glide out smoothly. A 1/2 turn twist to tighten, and the tripod's ready.

I don't think you could go wrong with any tripod in this class, but the FLM has some excellent features, it's affordable, and rates in the top 5 in strength/vibration testing.
    https://thecentercolumn.com/flm-cp38-l4-ii-review/

I hope that helps somewhat.

Ari, good to hear an improved HB 100 is in the works

I will buy asap!

I use a Kessler Crane Kwik Release with bubble level that fits very well on the HB 100, which brings up the old saying...two's company
    Tin Can

Randy, yes, we'll be discussing several improvements with the factory this coming week, and hopefully it won't be long in implementing these changes.
    Glad you like the tripod!

I hope you continue to show FLM upgrades on this forum

I want a padded bag for mine, but FLM website and B&H are not clear what fits what with various heads

But anything is put off until mid 2020
    Tin Can

We'll have padded bags soon, just dealing with the tripod upgrades first.
    We're now on our third production run, and we keep adding small but important improvements.
    For instance, a reviewer noted that the screws that hold the flat plate in place were showing signs of corrosion after 6 weeks of constant exposure to salt air and water.
    We quickly replaced and retrofitted all tripods with stainless steel screws.
    In addition to refining existing designs, I'm also working on a new travel tripod.