Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about 4x5 film developed by local lab

Post Questions about 4x5 film developed by local lab

Hi,

I’m new to both large format photography and film photography. I used a Toyo 45AIIL with a Rodenstock 150mm f/5.6 lens (stopped down to f/16) to take 16 photos in Florida. I used new Fidelity Elite 4x5 film holders with Ilford Delta 100 film. I did not use a dark cloth. After taking the photos, I took the film (still in the film holders) to a local lab to have them processed. I scanned in the developed negatives on a Epson V800 and was surprised at the results (they were worse than I would have expected). I have several questions about the different defects I noticed:

1. There seems to be a vertical light leak in some of the images opposite of the notched side of the film (see 4x5_002a for a good example). Is this from not using a dark cloth or just poor technique when taking out or inserting the dark slides?

2. Some of the films seem to have an uneven exposure across them (see 4x5_012a for a good example). Is this from improper developing technique? I read somewhere that this can be due to not enough agitation.

3. On some of the negatives there seems to be many fine granules (see the bottom right of 4x5_002a for a good example). What is this typically due to?

4. What is the large white spot in the lower right of all the images from (about 1/5 of the way in and up)?

5. It looks like there’s a lot of dust on the film in general, is that typical of sheet film?

6. What is the diagonal line in the upper left corner of 4x5_005a from?

7. A couple images look foggy (4x5_007a for example). Is that because they weren’t developed properly, or is that just from scanning incorrectly?

I think the most important question is whether or not I should use another lab in the future. I know that some of the above defects could be wholly or partly due to me, but others seem like developing issues (like uneven exposure, granules, and the diagonal line). So I'm leaning towards trying another lab. In the future, I would like to develop my own film, but for now I want to focus on just learning to use a field camera properly.

Here’s a link to the pictures:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...oy?usp=sharing

Nick

Foamer

Re: Questions about 4x5 film developed by local lab

I always make sure the slots on the film holder (dark slide slots) point away from the sun if possible. I also tend to cover the slots either with dark cloth or reinsert slide back in a quarter inch or so. Some of your other issues might be flare from shooting the sun.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Nick, it is good practice to cover the film holder with a dark cloth at all times, as Kent notes. From a cursory look at the exposures, it appears that there may be some uneven development issues. Dust is always a problem with large format, another reason to use a dark cloth.

I note that you are new to the forum. Welcome, and do not become discouraged! There is a lot to learn, and you will find some very sound advice visiting here.

Hi Nick

When I first started with LF (4 x 5)) the Camera Shop Owner (the late (and much respected) Robert White) said ".......you will make mistakes......." when starting. That was very sound advice then and even now (20 years on).........

Lab wise, https://www.4photolab.com/ seem very popular and reliable

Good luck with your new pursuit

regards

Andrew

Given the fog in the rebate area of some negatives and the diagonal lines, the first question I'd have is how you loaded the film. A perfectly dark room? Changing bag? Make sure absolutely no light can reach the film when loading it.
    Provided your film holders and camera are in good order, the use of a dark cloth won't make a difference.
    And none of this makes me think initially of a processing defect. Odds are you made a mistake somewhere; iron out your work flow first and then see how much the development leaves to be desired.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Given the fog in the rebate area of some negatives and the diagonal lines, the first question I'd have is how you loaded the film. A perfectly dark room? Changing bag? Make sure absolutely no light can reach the film when loading it.
    Provided your film holders and camera are in good order, the use of a dark cloth won't make a difference.
    And none of this makes me think initially of a processing defect. Odds are you made a mistake somewhere; iron out your work flow first and then see how much the development leaves to be desired.

I use an interior bathroom with no windows, at night. Lights are off in adjacent room. I stuff a towel under the door to block any stray light from the adjacent room as well.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

And that's my approach too

Andrew

Initially I made do with a changing bag, but some kind of darkroom (however small or improvised) is an incredible improvement. Just as long as it's really dark!

White dust happens when scanning. Black dust is on the film at the time of exposure (such as dirty film holders or dirty camera interior)
    The streak on the left half an inch in could be from light sneaking in when removing or inserting the darkslide in the camera such as if the spring back is not tight. Hold the camera back tight while removing or inserting the darkslide. I've never had a problem with sun leaking into the back aside from that.
    It looks like some unevenness to the developing as well, such as in 10a assuming things are otherwise properly exposed. Not a bad start; easy improvements to go forward.

If you plan to keep using the lab, get your process as good as possible before complaining about uneven development. If you have a place to load film holders, you have what you need for space to load a developing tank such as the stearman or combiplan.