Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use Shanghai GP3 Film in 4x5 and 8x10

Re: Anyone Use Shanghai GP3 Film in 4x5 and 8x10

Reviving this thread…

I read in a Reddit post that though the data sheet in the box says the notch is on the lower right, the instruction is incorrect and the notches are as with other sheets - on the upper right. Anyone knows if this has been corrected, either the info sheet or the notches? I just ordered a box, and am wondering if it should load like any other sheets. Thanks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogCommu...100_my_review/
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

I got a couple boxes of Shanghai (8x20 and 14x17) a couple of years ago. The notches were in the industry standard position of upper right.

The film was very nice and good quality. On my 8x20 film there was some quality control issues. Some of the sheets were too large (+2mm) so they wouldn't fit in the holder. There was also a problem with the notch code slowly rising so that each consecutive sheet it was higher till there was no notch code. I've never come across these issues in 40+ years of using LF film. Needless to say I will not purchase film from them again.

Thanks…will give it a try. A box of 25 sheets will cost me only about USD 32.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    Reviving this thread…

I read in a Reddit post that though the data sheet in the box says the notch is on the lower right, the instruction is incorrect and the notches are as with other sheets - on the upper right. Anyone knows if this has been corrected, either the info sheet or the notches? I just ordered a box, and am wondering if it should load like any other sheets. Thanks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogCommu...100_my_review/
    My last batch of 8x10 had notches on both corners. Good news was that the film exposed fine through either side and, with a Jobo Expert drum, the film loaded emulsion side out, still processed OK for the most part.

The negative shown was exposed from the back and processed emulsion side out in the drum. Came out OK but backwards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shanghad NotchJPG.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	233212

I have been slowly using 3-1/4 X 4-1/4 Shanghai GP3, 200 sheets bought direct

Notch Normal
    Tin Can

It’s a good film. I wish they sold it in 11x14 but alas… which is strange because they carry larger and fairly odd sizes.

I stocked up when it was being closed out. Need to try it again. I have been shooting a lot of the 220 GP3 and I like it a lot. It seems to have a sort of retro tonality. Like an old school film
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Kuvempunagar View Post
    I've used this film in 4x5 format for reversal and was happy with the results. Reciprocity failure correction table was kindly provided by Andrew and it works well reversal too. Though I've heard about QC issues, I didn't face any such issue. Now I have the film in 5x7 format and I hope my good luck with the film continues.
    Hi Raghu, I used 4x5" Shanghai GP3 negative at ISO 100 and the developed it with DDX ten minutes. The result: It is a positive image.
    How come? can you enlighten me ? Thank you
    Boon
    Singapore

I ordered a box of 4x5. It came with no notches whatsoever. In the dark you can (kind of) tell which side is which by feel, but it didn't leave me totally confident about emulsion facing out. They replaced that box. The replacement box produced nice looking negatives, with low b+f, but:

1. You can fix the hell out of it and it will still retain a little pink tinge; and,

2. There were tiny holes in the emulsion. Lots of them, as in 20 or more per sheet. They are smaller than what I'd consider a "pin hole," so with modest enlargement perhaps they would be very hard to pick up.

With 4x5 Tri-x pushing $5 a sheet, I wanted a cheaper alternative. But with the expense and time of traveling around to make photos, the savings didn't seem worth it. I did get a box of 5x7 too, but haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014268 View Post
    Hi Raghu, I used 4x5" Shanghai GP3 negative at ISO 100 and the developed it with DDX ten minutes. The result: It is a positive image.
    How come? can you enlighten me ? Thank you
    Boon
    Singapore
    Hi Boon,

That's very strange indeed! The film I received is a true negative film (i.e. one that develops as a negative when developed with developers like D-76). To make transparencies out of this film I had to reversal process it - a laborious multi-step process. I have not recently bought Shanghai GP3 from eBay sellers and I don't know if they are selling a different film now under the same label. It is possible that you might have got a direct positive film that develops into a positive when developed normally. If you can tell more about your film (notch code, thickness, halation dye color, etc), more knowledgeable folks in the forum might be able to help you identify the film. Also can you take a pic of the positive you got and share it here?