Thread: Using slide-in filters mounted on lens

Using slide-in filters mounted on lens

Hi,

What is the preferred slide-in filter system for using while mounted on the filter thread of copal-mounted lenses?

The reason for the question is as follows: in the digital medium format scene, it has recently been suggested that lenses with very large cells (typically the front cell) are not advisable on copal shutters because the weight of the front cell deforms the shutter assembly over time. This is supposed to eventually lead to the lens "sagging" itself out of alignment, which, with a digital sensor is apparently noticeable in terms of image sharpness.

Have people thought on similar lines regarding mounting slide-in filter systems, like the Lee etc, which would also add weight to the front cell?

Just wondering.

Re: Using slide-in filters mounted on lens

I have no special knowledge in this area but I don't buy it. Modern lenses at least are very robustly engineered, and the weight of a filter and lens hood isn't going to affect it at all. Although if you have a floppy camera, the weight may cause the front standard to move a bit after you put them on.. It's good to check the focus after everything is in place just to be sure that nothing moved during the fiddling.

I like Lee filters, myself. The first thing I do after putting the lens on is to attach the hood. I focus, and put the filter (if any) in at the last minute. I know from experience that it won't affect the alignment of my camera.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Hmm. I hang lenses in barrel in front of shutters. The largest and heaviest I do this with is a 610/9 Apo-Nikkor, which I hang on a Copal #1. 1,450 grams plus the adapter's weight. I was apprehensive about doing this, skgrimes advised me that the shutter would handle the weight. Understand, when I have to use a lens that long/heavy I set up the camera with the lens, take the shot(s), and remove the lens promptly.

I can't speak to Copal #0 shutters, don't use them for front mounting.

Thanks for your opinions. Sounds like copal shutters are stronger than assumed.

Plus, I guess digital is far more intolerant of slight lens misalignment than film is.

No, a filter will not deform your shutter... A heavy front lens cell will not deform your shutter... Dropping it might or not...

Beware of information...

Steve K