Thread: Distance markings for lenses for field camaras. Is it a reason to buy those FL?

Distance markings for lenses for field camaras. Is it a reason to buy those FL?

Hi,

Some field cameras have the focal lengths marked. In the
    Horseman 45FA: 75, 105, 150mm

Each of these FL has distance markings, e.g.: 1,3, 5, 7, 10m.,
    and infinity.

Has this been a reason for you to buy any of those focal lengths
    marked on your field camera? I mean the the focal length and
    the distance markings, so that if you decide to take a quicker
    shot, you know that you can focus the camera at a certain
    distance and your shot will be in focus.

Thank you, kind regards!

Re: Distance markings for lenses for field camaras. Is it a reason to buy those FL?

I have never felt the need for such markings

Re: Distance markings for lenses for field camaras. Is it a reason to buy those FL?

If one likes such markings, then one could add them for other lenses. I would not use such markings, but would use just a ruler-type of markings instead for tripod use. Those markings would be most useful for hand-held use.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

On a Horseman with the correct Horseman Topcor lenses it might work.

I have a UK Made Kodak Medical 5X7 camera with magnification markings. Close Up body parts...
    Tin Can

Looking at the inner machining of the Horseman FA body, maybe they thought of a rangefinder mechanism at some point, for hand-held shooting. They did provide a focus scale and a very nice viewfinder for hand-held. I have the focus scales and I'd like to try 4x5 hand-held sometime but the viewfinder is very expensive on the used market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman Focus Scales.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	198269

Funny how the 'bellows' people poo-poo zone focus, yet the 'fixed cone' people poo-poo ground glass focus....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 6.12.21 PM.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	198270

The Horseman45FA focusing scale has two sides. On the one hand, the markings for the lenses are 75.105 and 150mm, on the other - 65.90 and 120mm. In order to turn the dial over, you need to unscrew the two mounting screws. I used this scale for quick handheld shooting without a tripod or only with a monopod with a Super Horseman 7 / 65mm lens. To do this, there is a convenient handle on my camera with the trigger cable pulled into it. This is a fully functional option, as 7/65 has a large depth of field.Previously, I was convinced that the mark “infinity” on the scale exactly corresponds to the aim at infinity on the frosted glass of the camera!
    Last edited by Pechoretc; 10-Feb-2020 at 10:30. Reason: addition...

There is another big reason for distance scales, you might use flash and want to use an accurate distance to determine the proper aperture.

The Linhof Technika IV, and newer, have up to 3 distance scales for lenses from 75mm to 360mm on the scale stage and additional stages holding up to 3 scales are easily slid into place on the bed.

Nothing wrong with calibrated focus scales!!! It is a plus to be able to take a camera out of its bag and set it by hand under difficult conditions (like night, rain etc) or get a shot before it gets away...

We sometimes don't have the luxury of being able to spend too much time examining a GG, and it cam too dim to focus correctly at times!!!

I prefer GG focusing, generally don't like using RF devices, but learned to get a camera ready by feel without looking at it much at all... After all, I just saw a shot and want to give it the most attention I can!!! ;-)

Steve K