Thread: Krauss Quatryl

Krauss Quatryl

Not much information can be found about Krauss Quatryls. Available catalogs do not mention them. Only possible source I could found was Le Rêve Edition Krauss dossier - N 21 Krauss - Opticien-Constructeur d'Appareils Photographiques français - http://www.lereveedition.com/fr/doss...30/n-21-krauss

Dan Fromm deciphered from the tiny screenshot that these were Tessars made after Zeiss patent run out. I can now confirm this from the paper copy.

Le Rêve Edition is not complete. It mentions that Quatryls were made up to 300mm size, both f/3.5 and f/4.5 but I have found a listing that offers 500mm f/5.6 Quatryl. Le Rêve Edition only mentions 460mm f/10 Apo Quatryl but I have also found 840mm f/10.5 Apo Quatryl listed.

This suggest that Krauss most likely made the same nomenclature of Quatryls as they had been making Tessars.

Re: Krauss Quatryl

erian, I bought the Le Reve Berthiot Opticien when deciding whether to write an article on Berthiot's LF anastigmats. I found it incomplete and sometimes inaccurate, so went on to write a more comprehensive and accurate article. I'm sure I missed some lenses etc., also that I made mistakes that I failed to find and correct.

That's the nature of this kind of publication. Even with widespread digitization of old books and journals and good search engines finding everything relevant is difficult and time-consuming. In fact, not everything has been digitized yet.

Re: Krauss Quatryl

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    erian, I bought the Le Reve Berthiot Opticien when deciding whether to write an article on Berthiot's LF anastigmats. I found it incomplete and sometimes inaccurate, so went on to write a more comprehensive and accurate article. I'm sure I missed some lenses etc., also that I made mistakes that I failed to find and correct.

That's the nature of this kind of publication. Even with widespread digitization of old books and journals and good search engines finding everything relevant is difficult and time-consuming. In fact, not everything has been digitized yet.
    I am not criticizing. Just stating the facts for the helpful reference. I think they published information what they were able to confirm and this is the right thing to do.

Your Berthiot article is incredibly detailed.