Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega D2 Questions

Omega D2 Questions

My only experience with Omegas is with my B22XL, now long gone. It seemed extremely well made compared to my first enlarger which was a Vivitar 66 something. I hated that one.

I want to add a condenser enlarger to the darkroom as I am in the process of moving the whole set up to a second house and I think I have room. I already have a cold light equipped Beseler 23II and a Beseler with the V column and 8X10 head.

What do you think of the D2, probably will mostly be used for 35mm and 6x9? The one I am looking at is supposedly set up or formats up to 4X5 and comes with negative holders for everything from Minox on up. I believe the one I'm looking at is a D2V.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry this isn't in the darkroom equipment section where it should be.
    Last edited by Kevin Crisp; 6-Dec-2019 at 14:59.

Re: Omega D2 Questions

D2 is an excellent enlarger. Parts are getting harder to find, but if it intact you should be good.

Find out if is a D2V or D2, as D2's need different condenser sets for different formats, but the V's have a single movable condenser on a shelf to change coverage with format changes...

Most problems are from massive use/abuse, like wear on the column drive gear on the back, if the neg stage is not too worn or warped, if the head lock screw is not cutting into the column, and there is a dovetail guide plate on the focusing rail made of plastic that may be cracked from a over tight lock screw... Parts are out there, but a little scarce these days...

Older D2's use lens cones that are very hard to find now... Make sure the bellows are not falling apart...

These work for small format, but the bellows are very compressed, so touchy to hold focus and focus... I think OK down to 6X6, but for a lot of smaller format, strongly suggest a Leitz Valoy II for HQ work for those formats...

Steve K

The head definitely says "variable condenser." The chassis just says D2.

This link may be of some help.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Contact me via conversation (private message) if you want a regular D2. Currently up for 4x5, I believe.

I have a bunch of lens cones if needed.

I have a D2 as well and love it! I've set it up both with the original condensers as well as the Aristo Cold Light. I've recently moved back to the condensers since, while the Cold Light worked well to tame contrast, it was crazy bright and the HO version only outputs blue and green. There's no white light so one can't use a red filter for aligning paper, for instance. Main problem with the condensers is dust but I, usually, have that in check. Condensers require me to typically print at grade lower than the cold light (so grade 1 instead of grade 2 to get the same contrast for instance).

Anyways, parts are indeed getting harder to find. I see the color head options from time to time. I'd like one of those for the day I can print in color, one day. I also found carriers and lens cones were troublesome to find. I actually have designed my own 3D printer carriers and cones as a result (if you have an interest in these as well, just send me a PM). classic-enlargers.com also sells Omega parts (including metal carriers) if you find you need anything.

These things are built like tanks. I love it! Apart from getting used to condensers, if I had to have one other gripe, it's that the damn thing is so tall if I want to build a darkroom shed in the backyard, I have to build it with taller than normal walls because the riser is so high. Otherwise, the damn thing will outlast me and probably generations thereafter. Hard to go wrong with one of these.

It's been a while since I was in the market, but Midwest Photo Exchange used to be the 'go to' place for Omega enlarger parts.

multiplex

kevin you might also want to look around at harry taylor <rip> 's site http://www.classic-enlargers.com
    he was the go to guy when it came to omegas !
    i have a d3v, not sure of the differences between it and a d2v, but they are great enlargers. the V means it is
    an auto focus sort of thing ( i think) which means you will need different sized cones and rails for the wheel in the back
    to adjust the bellows so you only focus once. not sure how ez they are to find, and if they are offered for the d2, but look for
    something called the variable focusing bellows or something like that. it was a cone with a bellows attached so used whatever
    rail you had, and adjusted the bellows to the right place and voila, you don't need to worry about rails or cones...
    i have one for my d3 and E3, i hope they made them for your d2 ( they were originally made for jewel prints from what i was told ) ...
    have fun !
    john