Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LF photogenic sites in San Francisco, Napa Valley, Muir Woods, Santa Cruz, Monterey

Re: LF photogenic sites in San Francisco, Napa Valley, Muir Woods, Santa Cruz, Monter

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    This is interesting! My wife asked me yesterday if we need pay toll when we drive across Golden Gate Bridge, I told her “NO”. Apparently I was wrong.
    And that should be southbound into SF on the Golden Gate Bridge. No toll collected/charged for leaving the city northward.

http://goldengate.org/tolls/document...al-vehicle.pdf

http://goldengate.org/tolls/tolltipsforvisitors.php

All tolls collected electronically or by license plate.

I go over the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge often (Hwy 580) -- toll is collected heading west (towards San Rafael) and is Fastrak or cash only. I connect to Hwy 101 and head north.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Eric Woodbury

Re: LF photogenic sites in San Francisco, Napa Valley, Muir Woods, Santa Cruz, Monter

Well, I'm confused. If you are inbound to SF on the GGB, you are SOUTHBOUND. No toll takers any more. Just drive through and look online to pay or they will eventually send you a nasty-gram. There are no tolls leaving the peninsula. Northbound GGB is no charge.

Might be smart to concentrate on one direction only for your photo efforts. You can spend a long time at Point Reyes with so many options available. From the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin County, The towns and bay views, China Camp State Park in San Rafael, the roads to Pt. Reyes - with the small towns and French Marin Cheese Factory - a gold mine of images.
    North of San Francisco to the mouth of the Russian River - a ton of great locations to work and not quite as crowded as South of The City.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

removed
    Last edited by Willie; 13-Dec-2019 at 06:40. Reason: duplicate
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Thank you all for the valuable information. Can I use credit card or cash to pay Golden Gate Bridge toll?

Yes - but only on line. There are no conventional 'toll booths' at the end of the bridge to accept payments.

You must go on-line to a web site (bayareafastrak.org) to register the plate number of your vehicle, enter you credit card information, and specify a period of time for the registration. Thereafter, any tolls registered against that plate number will automatically be charged to your credit card.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...ho-6304954.php

Gotta be figured out by now, perhaps https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...Splatepass.jsp

My car is covered most places...
    Tin Can

Good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Yes - but only on line. There are no conventional 'toll booths' at the end of the bridge to accept payments.

You must go on-line to a web site (bayareafastrak.org) to register the plate number of your vehicle, enter you credit card information, and specify a period of time for the registration. Thereafter, any tolls registered against that plate number will automatically be charged to your credit card.

Thanks, Randy! The best way for me is to pay online, as Louie posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...ho-6304954.php

Gotta be figured out by now, perhaps https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...Splatepass.jsp

My car is covered most places...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Then again you can avoid the whole affair by going northbound over the GG Bridge to Marin (no toll) and returning via the San Rafael Bridge. Doing it that way you will have to pay a toll on the Bay Bridge to enter San Francisco but you can pay cash at the toll gate.* At the southern edge of San Rafael Hwys 101 and 580 run coterminous with 580 splitting off to the left and running along Francisco Blvd to the bridge. Infamous San Quentin prison is situated at the foot of the bridge and at least 2 locations you can pull off and photograph the prison and explore the shoreline it sits on: the prison's Francisco Blvd entry gate (there's a parking lot there) and a second along the city streets on the turn off just before you get to the bridge. The city turns into a circus atmosphere during executions.

*You can also continue south on 880 all the way to 233 which swings west to Hwy 101 and 280 and avoid all tolls. Between 880 and 101 on 233 is historic Alviso worth a visit if you're in the area.

Thomas