Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Sinar board opening you have seen

Biggest Sinar board opening you have seen

I have the board with the 102 mm hole and I could not find any larger. Has somebody seen anything that is wider?

Re: Biggest Sinar board opening you have seen

Little bit under 130mm for a large barrel lens (from an overhead projector) that I once had. Lens was mounted (S K Grimes?, don't remember) firmly onto the Sinar board, but the lens had to be supported by a custom auxiliary standard (aux standard was custom made to prop up bellows sag). Never used this lens mounted on the Sinar board alone cause it was way too front heavy. In back of it, used it with a Sinar shutter which has an opening of 75mm which acted as a "stopped down" iris for the optic. Whole set-up proved to be too impractical to easily use. Made a few test exposures, but the results were a whole lot less than I had hoped for.

maximumx factory made was 102mm (Sinar DB)

Sinar Norma made a camera standard, larger by one size than the normal Norma front standard. I have never found one in over thirty years, it's in the catalog. My guess is that it was the 5x7 rear standard, with some additional specially made parts. I'd like to have one. I believe the "special bellows" was the designation, probably 8x10 to 5x7 standard front. Also never seen one of those. Reinhart Wolfe had a 1000mm Zeiss dialyte that required two Norma standards to stabilize. The rear mount of that lens was/is truly impressive in size.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

I once did a bigger hole than any of those using a fly cutter on a drill press. Fortunately, the rigidity of the rim of a real Sinar board is well reinforced by the ribbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Sinar Norma made a camera standard, larger by one size than the normal Norma front standard. I have never found one in over thirty years, it's in the catalog. My guess is that it was the 5x7 rear standard, with some additional specially made parts. I'd like to have one. I believe the "special bellows" was the designation, probably 8x10 to 5x7 standard front. Also never seen one of those. Reinhart Wolfe had a 1000mm Zeiss dialyte that required two Norma standards to stabilize. The rear mount of that lens was/is truly impressive in size.
    Have also seen listed in some old Sinar Norma literature? reference to a larger front standard. I believe it was not a modified 5x7 rear standard but a square (7x7 inch?) standard. Will try to find it in my collection of old Sinar literature. Back in the Sinar Standard/Norma era, I remember Sinar offering some unique special order pieces of equipment. One was an 8x10 reflex finder which I'd seriously like to acquire... but don't know if it ever made it out of the prototype stage to a special order item. In the rear equipment section of Linhof's Technika magazine, quite a few products were listed that never made it into production, maybe that's where I saw reference to a larger front standard?

I have a Sinar lensboard with an 84mm opening. It's ideal for my Schneider 610mm f9 Repro-Claron lens.

Given the (large) size of this lens, an 84mm opening is about as large as I'm ever going to need.

Yes it was a special order item if I remember correctly. The bellows has the No. 453.58 which is for the P2 from 5x7-8x10 and the older one is No. 453.18 for the P!

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Yes it was a special order item if I remember correctly. The bellows has the No. 453.58 which is for the P2 from 5x7-8x10 and the older one is No. 453.18 for the P!
    Attached is an image of the Sinar 5x7 standard 433.67 (4x5 for comparison on the right) which was used with the 453.58 (or 453.18) special bellows. Never remember seeing a 5x7 lensboard offered from Sinar to use on it, but I'm sure one could easily be machined for it. Getting the correct grade? or hardness? of the aluminum might be the challenge to a non-machinist person like me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5x7 front standard.jpg  

I used to have the 8x10 reflex viewer in the 90s, they weren't that hard to find ... saw one on ebay within the last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Have also seen listed in some old Sinar Norma literature? reference to a larger front standard. I believe it was not a modified 5x7 rear standard but a square (7x7 inch?) standard. Will try to find it in my collection of old Sinar literature. Back in the Sinar Standard/Norma era, I remember Sinar offering some unique special order pieces of equipment. One was an 8x10 reflex finder which I'd seriously like to acquire... but don't know if it ever made it out of the prototype stage to a special order item. In the rear equipment section of Linhof's Technika magazine, quite a few products were listed that never made it into production, maybe that's where I saw reference to a larger front standard?