Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Dry Mounting Prints?

Re: What Happened to Dry Mounting Prints?

Well Drew, I need some 16X20 Dry mount, what do you suggest?
    Tin Can

Many of the new dry mount tissues are made with color inkjet in mind. They melt at lower temps and would be safer to to use (less risk of heat damage to the photo). Inkjet media is sometime like RC paper; plastic layered and more easily damaged by heat.
    It would make sense the newer tissue might not behave well in a the trunk of a dark car in summer desert heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    This thread reminds me that my last stock of dry mount tissue was defective. I'll be needing some soon. What do you folks recommend? I'll be mounting fiber-based double weight BWprints. No need for the tissue to be removable.
    Hey Peter what brand was it? I had some Light Impressions own brand that would not stick. I tried it at different temperatures still no joy.

I think it was Bienfang, but I bought it a long time ago now. I probably did buy it from Light Impressions. I generally go a decade between getting a group of prints that I want to drymount and frame.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

I relied on Seal Colormount for many years, and still have some left. It went from Seal branding to Bienfang, then to DK, an importer, but all seemed the same. Now a product called Trimount made by Drytac is being pushed as comparable or perhaps even superior. I need to order quite a bit of 16X20, so will find out. But I just spent a lot on a big pile of museum board and have other projects underway, so it might be awhile till I form my own opinion about Trimount. It will soon be too wet and humid for volume drymounting this winter anyway. As for drymounting color prints - no way, unless its non-buffered museum board and a dye transfer print on actual baryta paper base. Cold-mounting foils are better for color, but need their own kind of equipment and skills. There's a distinct technique to proper drymounting, including pre-drying of all necessary materials. But once that's understood and practiced a little, it becomes easy.

Follow-up from me.

First, I'm speaking of black-and-white fiber-base silver gelatin prints only here. I don't do color anymore and would likely go d*****l if i did.

I use the BufferMount just because it is removable; I like that feature and it has come in handy more than once. Plus, if a print mat board ever gets damaged, the print can be remounted.

For those that want a permanent mount, ColorMount or its successors has been the standard for years. It's what most B&W prints are dry mounted with.

I haven't bought dry-mount tissue in years, but am getting set up to do a bunch of mounting sometime in the next few months. I'll be asking for advice/resources when I run out of my stock of tissue. Who's in business now anyway? DK, Drytac, any others?

Best,

Doremus

When I was 16 or so, my photographic mentor was a well-known newspaper photographer. He dry mounted his display prints at work, trimmed to the edge with no borders. He mounted them at home on the wall with about an inch of stand-offs that I think were blocks of wood. Some fifty years later nearly all of them looked quite yellow/brown, so did the mounting board he used. The tissue didn't protect the photos from the board damaging them. I, of course, copied what he did for my supposed keepers, using different materials I got at "the camera store." My prints from the same era still look fine, but then the board hasn't turned like his did. I lucked out. I had never heard of archival board. Other than physical damage from handling, or spilling something on them, every print I dry mounted after a proper washing looks fine going on 50 years.

Thanks Drew, looking at Freestyle the specs and description are similar between Arista and DryTac.

I will try some soon.
    Tin Can

I have B&W fiber prints mounted on archival board w/archival overmatt framed in Nielsen silver frames hanging on various walls of my home for nearly 40 years now and they still look as good as the day I made 'em. Seal mounting press, permanent mounting tissue (bought so many years ago I forget what brand it is), normal piece of glass in the frame (not UV protecting, etc).

FWIW in his thread, this link may be of interest. This material is what I've been using since it became available for mount board and mat. I'm still using Colormount tissue for dry mounting. No issues here.

https://www.lodima.org/advances-in-a...ng-and-storage