Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Darkroom plumbing advice needed, please

Re: Darkroom plumbing advice needed, please

Some before, during and after pictures of my mixing panel installation. I don't really use tempered water, other than to fill the Jobo. But this un-used unit was on ebay for $50 (this was ten years ago) so I thought it would be a nice addition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	counter2800.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	198661

Name:	DSCF4941.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	198660

Name:	DSCF4945.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	198662

Name:	DSCF4954-1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	198663

My plumbing set up is very similar to Arne's (Post# 12).
    As others have mentioned, don't skimp on the plumbing - it can be very frustrating later own. I highly recommend the HASS Mixing Valve - saves time, water and no frustration setting it. If possible, place the water filters above the sink for easy access as suggested by Keith Post# 6).

It has been almost a year since I started the Darkroom build (a few hours on the weekend with long hiatuses for work and family obligations). I am just now starting to clean up the space to get it ready for the equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DK_plumb.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Sorry to hear that the refurbishment costs has risen to that level. I can only surmise that Mr. Hass has figured out that if the new units are not moving as rigorously as he would like, the costs of repairs need to escalate to generate a sufficient level of profitability. I will say that I looked at this piece of equipment as a long term investment in my darkroom commitment taking this variable out of play. These units last decades. ...... it would still make sense to have it refurbished. If you can find one that works for under $300..... it is a no brainer. The challenge is being Johnny on the spot when one shows up which they do occasionally. Good Luck!
    An ancient thread, but at least Hass is still in business. When I bought my backup unit and sent it in for an overhaul, Mr. Hass told me that after the photo labs tanked, the bakers have been using his control unit and kept him in business!! Happy to pay the current refurbishment costs. His units are built so well, with care they basically last for a really long time (forever?). My K-250 was made in 1996 and still looks and works like new! He'll also give you hints to can do yourself to keep from having to send your unit in to the shop.

Oh, building the darkroom was such a headache for me! First, it's not cheap at all. The equipment was about 900$, and it wasn't brand new, so either the seller scammed me, or the prices are really so damn high! Second, it was quite challenging to deal with plumbing, because the studio didn't have any sink, hose or smth else. I tried using a jug in order to pump water into the sink and drain it into another tank, but it was a big pain. Therefore, I turned to Plumbing Gold Coast company, because I was sick and tired of this thing, and I wanted to start working as soon as possible. I don't know how did they manage to fix everything, but I wish I had called them earlier!
    Last edited by FirstImpact; 6-Apr-2021 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstImpact View Post
    Oh, building the darkroom was such a headache for me!
    Give us all the details on what caused the headaches, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    Give us all the details on what caused the headaches, please.
    I'm in the process of building out a darkroom, all by myself. It's a bit challenging because I'm not a framer, carpenter, drywall installer or electrician. But everything is working out so far thanks to lots of research and YouTube videos (although take those with a grain of salt). If you get a contractor to do it, well that has it's own set of headaches and frustrations too, believe me.

My builder did my darkroom though not cheap no headaches.

I suggest a twin filter system, 5 micron to a 3 or smaller, which will have a longer life because of the first filter in line.

You might also consider a 10-5-3 system, which again, will give the two following filters longer life, and be good for years.

Once you make the investment into the hardware, the filter costs very little to replace and if you need to replace them more often than every 12 - 14 months, are definitely needed.

Try "Habitat for Humanity" stores for both filter housings and filters, before a big box store.

IMO.

Plumbing standards vary by location. Most big cities have all kinds regulations and laws.

A big one even in the middle of nowhere is 'anti siphon', even garden hose bibs should have them

A darkroom often has chemicals we don't want in the freshwater for everybody in your neighbor, it can syphon right up to the neighbors child. PEX allows for curved shorter piping.

https://www.thespruce.com/anti-siphon-faucet-1824942

I installed what Hass recommends

When I worked in factory every water source had them by law, OSHA etc

My local water supply makes everybody in our tiny town sign a compliance letter, every year!

Stainless pipe is nice and expensive. I used DIY PEX in DR, and just had a new water main installed by licenced plumbers. I paid a tiny bit more for PEX. It's better than anything...else, PEX Test. I now use PEX bands with crimper, cheaper than Sharkbyte.
    11X14 Mistake Darkroom by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    My plumbing set up is very similar to Arne's (Post# 12).
    As others have mentioned, don't skimp on the plumbing - it can be very frustrating later own. I highly recommend the HASS Mixing Valve - saves time, water and no frustration setting it. If possible, place the water filters above the sink for easy access as suggested by Keith Post# 6).

It has been almost a year since I started the Darkroom build (a few hours on the weekend with long hiatuses for work and family obligations). I am just now starting to clean up the space to get it ready for the equipment.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I'm in the process of building out a darkroom, all by myself. It's a bit challenging because I'm not a framer, carpenter, drywall installer or electrician. But everything is working out so far thanks to lots of research and YouTube videos (although take those with a grain of salt). If you get a contractor to do it, well that has it's own set of headaches and frustrations too, believe me.
    I definitely get it.
    I was fortunate to enlist the services of two friends, one a carpenter and the other a licensed plumber. The carpenter helped me with the sink stand and shelving above it. The plumber did all the plumbing to code (including anti-siphon valves). I paid them and it was well-worth it, plus I am not at all comfortable doing plumbing work. The rest I did on my own as time allowed: more shelving, mounting the enlargers on wall mounts, refinishing a salvaged table for the mounting press and so on. I now realize that I have too much stuff crammed in there - but that's another story for another thread