Thread: Thoughts About Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele Arton in Compur 0 Shutter?

Thoughts About Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele Arton in Compur 0 Shutter?

I am looking for a smaller 240mm for my Linhof Master Technika and I ran across a Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele Arton in a Compur 0 shutter. I am not familiar with this lens, so I thought I would ask the group here. My intended use is for landscapes and some botanical photos. I will be using Provia 100F slide film.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Re: Thoughts About Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele Arton in Compur 0 Shutter?

Just as an aside, when I was looking for a lens for flower shots with my bellows-challenged Horseman HF, one thing that struck me was just how all-over-the-map reviews of the Tele-Arton's were. I ended up going with the newest version of the 270/5.5--it's a bulky lens (77mm filter thread), all black, in the newer black Copal shutter--but I've found it surprisingly light and sharp when stopped down a bit. (FWIW, one advantage of the 77mm filter ring is that it accepts my Canon 500D diopter...haven't made any exposures with that set-up, but just a quick look at the GG makes me think it holds promise.)

Yea, I was really surprised at what I found about on the reviews as well, so that is why I made my post here to see if some quality info is passed along based on first-hand experience and not just a repeat of Internet rumors. I do a lot of my botanical with the 150 lens and some bellows extension, but there are times when I need a little extra distance between me and the flowers and the 240 is nice for that. The challenge is that most 240 lenses are BIG and that is what I am trying to avoid because I really want to backpack with it, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Just as an aside, when I was looking for a lens for flower shots with my bellows-challenged Horseman HF, one thing that struck me was just how all-over-the-map reviews of the Tele-Arton's were. I ended up going with the newest version of the 270/5.5--it's a bulky lens (77mm filter thread), all black, in the newer black Copal shutter--but I've found it surprisingly light and sharp when stopped down a bit. (FWIW, one advantage of the 77mm filter ring is that it accepts my Canon 500D diopter...haven't made any exposures with that set-up, but just a quick look at the GG makes me think it holds promise.)

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    The challenge is that most 240 lenses are BIG and that is what I am trying to avoid because I really want to backpack with it, if possible.
    Take a look at the Fujinon 250mm f6.3. Supposed to cover 5x7", and the reviews are mostly ok

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Huub

I think that still is a pretty big lens with 810 gr. How about lenses like the apo-ronar, g-claron, fujinon A or another process lens in shutter? They are excellent performers and weigh less then half. And be aware: tele-lenses make front tilt and swing to a pain as the front nodal point is way in front of the lens, while those process lenses can be used as every other lens.

I'd look at the G-claron or Fuji 240/9. The Tele-arton 240 normally comes in a Compur 1 or 2 shutter, I am surprised it is in a copal 0 - someone must have adapted it. be aware it won't be f/5.5 in that case, probably more like f/8 wide open at best. The 240 process lenses will be sharper than that tele arton and smaller. Unless you need a fast(ish) 240 (and this one in the copal 0 won't be as fast as in the correct shutter), and/or less bellows draw, there's no reason to choose the tele arton for this application.

Suggest avoiding telephoto design view camera lenses unless absolutely needed due to limited bellows or similar limitations. If a smaller 240mm lens is needed for 4x5 fold up a process lens like Rodenstock APO ronar, Goerz APO artar, and similar is a far better choice. These have better optical performance than telephoto design view camera lenses, MUCH smaller and lower weight. The f9 full aperture might appear to be a problem, in real world use full aperture of f9 is not really a problem for viewing or related perceptions of this being a problem.

Bernice

I still have a Linhof Schneider Kreuznach 250mm f/5.6 Tele-Arton in a Compur 1 shutter. I will probably move it on next year; I think. I have had this lens for around 7-8 years and used it a fair amount, getting to know its strengths and weaknesses

I replaced it with a Fujinon W 250mm f/6.3 some time ago and have not regretted it one bit.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Tele-Arton, in fact it is a wonderful lens. The deficiencies outlined by Bernice are what made me decide to look and wait for a replacement, which came in the form of the 250 Fujinon lens.

As for compactness, I cannot compare a 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Arton with what I have. However I just pulled the kitchen scales out and the 250 f/5.6 Tele-Arton without a lens board weighs 701g. The 250 f/6.3 Fujinon weighs 670g with a lens board. Here’s the rub, the Tele-Arton is longer. The Fujinon is 83mm in length, while the Tele-Arton is 91mm in length.

I have used the Fujinon extensively for landscape work and whenever the opportunity arose, close-up photography of plant structures and flowers. For close-up work in the field with my Shen Hao HZX45-IIA it works quite well. It is also a very good close-up portrait lens.

Mick.

The point is he will not have enough Bellows extension for a 250mm Fuji only a bit shorter then infinity, on the Horseman und I have the 270mm Tele Arton and I like it very much. The 240 are in very different shutters and it covers just very tied 4x5, the 270mm is newer and covers with some little spare for movement!
    I tested it against my APO Ronar 300mm and I could not see a difference in sharpness! I will use it on my Horseman HF in future for portraits!