Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 4x5 Enlarger with LED light source

Re: DIY 4x5 Enlarger with LED light source

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Very nice! Looks like a great project for the winter! Looking forward to replacing the dichro head and vacuum cleaner noisy fan on my CB7 enlarger.
    Cool! I think this head will be a good replacement. It produced no heat at all. The efficiency is really high and almost all the power goes into the light generation and not into heat.

Excellent work !!
    Love the concept and execution.
    Hopp Schwiiz !! ;-)

Any reason, why one shouldn't use LED strip lights as a light source? Some green, blue and UV ones perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    Excellent work !!
    Love the concept and execution.
    Hopp Schwiiz !! ;-)

Any reason, why one shouldn't use LED strip lights as a light source? Some green, blue and UV ones perhaps?
    No. You can use a strip as long it has ws2812b LED on it. These are compatible with the library. A neopixel matrix is just more comfortable as the LED are closer together and you don’t need to solder wired to the strip chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by elgatosuizo View Post
    No. You can use a strip as long it has ws2812b LED on it. These are compatible with the library. A neopixel matrix is just more comfortable as the LED are closer together and you don’t need to solder wired to the strip chunks.
    Great. Thank you.

Very Cool! Good job!

I did a similar project for several enlargeres using single LEDs and RGBW LEDs, will look into using a matrix as well. If you have time, there are some info, code and schematics here

Morten has a lot of very interesting DIY projects with many ways to get them done.

Way cool!

I love DIY, always have

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Very Cool! Good job!

I did a similar project for several enlargeres using single LEDs and RGBW LEDs, will look into using a matrix as well. If you have time, there are some info, code and schematics here
    Tin Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-02 22.01.53.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	205400
    I have finished an 8x10 enlarger as well. I used 12mm steel rods and a trapezoid thread for focusing. The bellows is the failed construction I had planned for the camera (it was too stiff). As lens I took a Schneider 240mm G-Claron. The column (I share with the 4x5 enlarger) can seem quite unstable and is quite insensitive to vibrations, but I had no other choice. The reason for this is that the enlarger has to be taken down and stowed away within minutes. So I had to make compromises in the construction. I just wait a little with every touch.
    The negative holder has two AN 20x25 2mm glas pieces in a wood frame.

Name:	2020-07-02 22.02.01.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	205401
    As a light source I used again the WS2812b LED, which is well known to me by now. 384 LED are on 3 modules and a 20A 5V power supply provides the power supply. I reused the model of my LED color and multi contrast controller. This has also proved to be good and I use it in different enlargers. I said goodbye to Tungsten & Co. completely. And also to multi contrast or color heads. I don't need all of them anymore, because my LED controls are much more powerful and have a wider range of functions.

Name:	2020-07-02 22.02.11.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	205402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-02 22.04.31.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	205403
    I have developed a third version of the controller, but it is in evaluation for possible commercialization. Eventually I will use this new controller also here, because it is compatible with the LEDs. Since the prototypes of the new ones are trickier to build (more complicated membrane keyboards) and both already built ones are externally tested, I first built this simpler one quickly.

Good work

I was unaware of the https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812B.pdf

Thank you
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good work

I was unaware of the https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812B.pdf

Thank you
    They are really versatile and come already assembled in various ready to use form factors like the 8x8 or 16x16 matrix. Any arduino or other mcu can control them with an easy to use library. And the current they use 5V allow to let them produce very low heat. Perhaps the need for short cables (<1m) with a generous cross section from the power supply to the LEDs when using more than 64 LEDs is a disadvantage. The 12V versions of almost the same LED allow longer cables. I solved this by placing the power supply close to the LED.

LED are becoming very useful for skin and eye medical treatments in specific wavelength, power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by elgatosuizo View Post
    They are really versatile and come already assembled in various ready to use form factors like the 8x8 or 16x16 matrix. Any arduino or other mcu can control them with an easy to use library. And the current they use 5V allow to let them produce very low heat. Perhaps the need for short cables (<1m) with a generous cross section from the power supply to the LEDs when using more than 64 LEDs is a disadvantage. The 12V versions of almost the same LED allow longer cables. I solved this by placing the power supply close to the LED.
    Tin Can