Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any darkrooms in New England with 8x10 Enlargers?

Question Any darkrooms in New England with 8x10 Enlargers?

Hey everyone,

I've had a lot of fun shooting with my 8x10 camera in the past few months, but my lack of access to an 8x10 enlarger has limited me to contact prints. Do any of you know of darkrooms in the central New England area with an 8x10 enlarger? I live in western Massachusetts, but frequently travel to southern Vermont and semi frequently to Boston, and I'd probably be able to travel up to an hour out of state if it means I can print some of these negatives.

So far the only place I have found is LaPete B&W labs in Boston, but after giving them a call I found out that their 8x10 enlarger is currently in need of repair, with no estimate on when it will be finished. Do any of you know of other darkrooms I should look into?

Thanks,
    Ethan

(I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this thread, but I couldn't think of a better place)

Re: Any darkrooms in New England with 8x10 Enlargers?

There was a New England Large Format Collective around a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about them recently though. If they're still around, they would be a good place to start with.

The Vermont Center for Photography in Brattleboro has a 4x5 enlarger, not what you want but might be useful in the future. There is also this darkroom https://www.cameracommons.com/index.html. I have no first hand experience but it looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by NHE View Post
    The Vermont Center for Photography in Brattleboro has a 4x5 enlarger, not what you want but might be useful in the future. There is also this darkroom https://www.cameracommons.com/index.html. I have no first hand experience but it looks promising.
    Thanks! VCP is actually where I do most of my printing. Thanks for the lead on that other darkroom though!

I was involved with NELFPC over the years. There are no rental dark rooms within the membership. There is a rental / membership facility in East Hartford. Call this phone # 860 263 8330. Ask for Chris, he is the owner Good luck.
    Keep your eyes and ears open for the PhotoArtsXchange.com In Connecticut next May 15-17th.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

multiplex

LaPete's is the only one i know of, and you have already been in touch with them ...

Thanks for the replies everyone! I emailed cameracommons, and in case anyone else was interested in going there, it turns out that they do have an 8x10 enlarger, but it is currently dismantled because no one was using it.

Camera Commons is a great place, I have been there many times (also was in a group show at one point). The darkrooms and facility quality are quite high. Hopefully they set up the 8x10 enlarger again.

I'll second Ed's comments about Camera Commons. David Speltz, et al, have assembled a facility which perfectly combines "state of the art" analog technology with a design layout which addresses the practical needs of working photographic artists/practitioners.