Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E6/Positive LF film?

Re: E6/Positive LF film?

I contacted an acquaintance who is a rising landscape photographic star and shoots LF. He helped put it in perspective for me - at least there's still film to be had, and what's out there is great quality. The cost is just part of the hobby/expense of doing business.

I agree, just preferred it when it was a bit more affordable, at least for those like me who are just starting out in LF and still need to make a lot of mistakes before hitting their stride.

Drew Wiley

I preferred it when it was a LOT more affordable than now. Even the stockpile in my freezer was bought at about a third the going rate. But quality-wise, films are better than ever.

Latest rumour I heard is 120 E100 is coming soon, but 4x5 is still another year away. No mention of 8x10, which I don't think is on Kodaks want list at the moment. They'll decide that after they see how the 4x5 stuff sells.

Today Kodak Alaris announced release within 10 days for 120 and 4x5".
    4x5" shooters are not all shooting on 8x10", and vice versa.
    So looking at 4x5" sales could not be telling the whole truth about the marketing chances of 8x10".
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Drew Wiley

Once the correct base for sheet film is coated, it can be cut to whatever size is needed. If there's even a single large enough order down the line to meet the minimum for an 8x10 cut, they'll probably do it. But it's probable this entire first batch will go to pent-up 4x5 demand. Time will tell.

FWIW, Badger Graphic is showing 4x5 E100, $49, availability in 7-10 days...

Drew Wiley

I'm waiting to see how the 35mm shots come out, still have a full box of E100G Readyloads, and never order things coinciding with the Christmas rush - too many temp delivery drivers out there for the season. Ektar fills most of my color sheet film needs these days; but there are certain kinds of lighting it just doesn't handle well. I'm getting some of my best RA4 prints from internegs made from older chromes; but that means at least two extra sheets of film, one for the interneg itself, and one or more for the contrast masking. So I can prep only so many of them for printing, or it gets expensive, esp with 8x10. Color 4x5 printing takes a back seat; but I do accommodate a few of them each season. The nicest thing about a chrome is that you know what you've got the moment you slap it onto a light box.