Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 tray processing

8x10 tray processing

I am new on 8x10. I want to do the procese in trays. 1 by 1 sheet. The question is if I can process more that 1 sheet with the same developer. If that's the case , do I have to change time developing?
    Thank you very much

Foamer

Re: 8x10 tray processing

Developer is usually rated as so many square inches of film per ML. I use HC-110 and know it can do about 80 sq. inches with 500 ml of developer. That breaks down to four sheets of 4x5 for me.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

David Schaller

I’ve done two sheets at a time in one liter of working solution with Pyrocat HD and D76. I would think you could do a second sheet after the first if you didn’t wait too long.

Drew Wiley

???? ... I have no problem tray dev 6 or more sheets of 8x10 per liter any number of dev options: pyro, HC-110, 76, etc. And I'm talking even about extremely fussy predictable applications like separation negs, densitometer measured. But that's shuffle dev all at the same time. Once that's learned, I don't get the point of only one at a time. That's just looking for a downhill result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marques View Post
    I am new on 8x10. I want to do the procese in trays. 1 by 1 sheet. The question is if I can process more that 1 sheet with the same developer. If that's the case , do I have to change time developing?
    Thank you very much
    The technical sheet for each film (and many developers) will give you this information. generally, if you do one at a time (a good way to learn about the effects of developing times/temp), you will increase your development time with the next sheet . Reading the tech sheet for D-76, for example, they do not recommending using the developer a second time if it was used diluted 1:1. Using D-76 straight, it will develop four 8x10's per liter. If done one at a time, one needs to increase development time by 15% after every sheet of 8x10.

This is what we did at the university when processing four 4x5s at a time in racks in a liter of straight D-76. The liter will process 16 sheets of 4x5, and after developing 4 sheets, we increased the time for the next four sheets by 10 to 15%.

If you develop four sheets at one time in a fresh liter of D-76, you may need to add a little time compared to doing only one sheet in a fresh liter. Drew -- any feedback on that?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One thing to consider it the type of trays to use. I use 2 types: Kodak Duraflex which have totally flat bottoms and Paterson trays which have shallow troughs running along the bottom of the tray. With the Patterson trays, it is easier to put your fingers under the film. I started out using Patterson trays in the 1970s but then over years have come to prefer the flat bottom Kodak trays. When I started out to process 8x10 film, I would one single sheet at a time. When I was comfortable with tray processing 8x10 film, I went to processing 2 sheets at a time. Once comfortable with processing 2 sheets at a time, I found that I could easily process 6 sheets at a time, but it took me probably processing 50 sheets to to get to that point. I have never had a problem with scratches on conventional film. As for X-Ray film, can't say the same... Personally like to use developers or dilute them to have my processing times between 10 to 20 minutes.

A little late input on this topic and also new in tray processing.
    I received the Stearman sp-810 tray and today processed my first test films, 2 pieces of 5x7 Foma 100.
    During the development I gently moved continuously the tray.
    Is this the correct way or should it be done with interrupts like in a small tank ( every 30 sec)?

Thanks for advices
    Best regards

Hans

Err on less sheets per liter. You can't go back and reshoot that sunset, or whatever. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. But I would err on less. Developer is cheap compared to sheet film prices and the price you pay in time to get that 1 shot.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marques View Post
    Thank you very much
    If you process 2 or more sheets at a time, you need to increase the amount of developer concentrate likewise.
    I would advise you to begin with single sheets, then when comfortable, go to 2 sheets, etc.
    Use at least 11x14" trays to help eliminate problems of streaks and over development of edges.
    Most people find that even with experience 4-6 sheets is the maximum number with which they are comfortable. More than that and they become unwieldy and the quantity of developer becomes overly large.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
    A little late input on this topic and also new in tray processing.
    I received the Stearman sp-810 tray and today processed my first test films, 2 pieces of 5x7 Foma 100.
    During the development I gently moved continuously the tray.
    Is this the correct way or should it be done with interrupts like in a small tank ( every 30 sec)?

Thanks for advices
    Most workers use intermittent agitation of one kind or another. I prefer so seconds continuous agitation at the start, then 5 seconds each 30 seconds for the rest of the time. Another common timing is one minute at the start, and then 10 seconds each minute.
    I teach students to agitate by lifting alternate corners about 1-1.5 inches. Three corners takes 5 or 6 seconds. The next period of agitation begins with the corner which was not raised during the previous period.
    ALthough I have tubes of all kinds, and a large Jobo with Expert tanks, trays are my preferred method.