Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Development and Contact Printing Equipment and Materials List

Film Development and Contact Printing Equipment and Materials List

Hi all,

I've been trying to build a list of equipment and materials needed to (a) develop 4x5 sheets and (b) develop contact prints. I think my biggest problem is figuring out the chemicals needed (materials). I might have a few gaps in the equipment too. I also understand that the type of film may dictate different types of chemicals and different contact print paper types dictate different processes and chemicals. So, if you could please explain given a film type, what are the necessary chemicals needed? Basically, I need to know what I'll need to buy! When I search the web, I get so many different options and variables. I think I just need help getting a straight answer.

To Develop the 4x5 Sheet film:
    1. SP-445
    2. Changing bag
    3. Film drying line
    4. Developing chemicals (Pre-Developer??, Developer, Stop, Fix, xxx?)

What am I missing?

To Develop the Contact Print:
    1. Film exposing light
    2. Glass plate
    3. Clamps and film table
    4. Light timer
    5. Safelight
    6. 4 chemical trays
    7. funnels, beakers, glass containers and stuff
    8. Contact Print developing chemicals (Developer, Stop, Fix, PhotoFlow??)

How does this look?

If the list is good, can you then suggest exactly what chemicals I'll need to pull this off?

Thanks!!

Re: Film Development and Contact Printing Equipment and Materials List

PhotoFlo is used in the final film wash to help the water stream off of the film while it is hanging to dry. I use a pre-wash of plain water before the film developer. Some others do not. The SP-445 may be more convenient than a set of three (or likely more) trays for developing film. I've never used anything but trays in the past 50 or 60 years. The same trays will also be useful in developing paper.

Ok, but what are the chemicals that I need? Brand, type, code letters, and the amount to get. Not going to be shooting like a wild man!

Beginner's guide to developing 4x5" sheets

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post611789
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Ok, but what are the chemicals that I need? Brand, type, code letters, and the amount to get. Not going to be shooting like a wild man!
    It's a personal choice. This is like asking, what food, kitchen equipment, and dishes should I buy to make and serve dinner? It's a nonsensical question as there are simply too many options and methods and you've not even told us what you plan to shoot.

Perhaps start with this?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._film_kit.html
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Hi all,

I've been trying to build a list of equipment and materials needed to (a) develop 4x5 sheets and (b) develop contact prints. I think my biggest problem is figuring out the chemicals needed (materials). I might have a few gaps in the equipment too. I also understand that the type of film may dictate different types of chemicals and different contact print paper types dictate different processes and chemicals. So, if you could please explain given a film type, what are the necessary chemicals needed? Basically, I need to know what I'll need to buy! When I search the web, I get so many different options and variables. I think I just need help getting a straight answer.

To Develop the 4x5 Sheet film:
    1. SP-445
    2. Changing bag
    3. Film drying line
    4. Developing chemicals (Pre-Developer??, Developer, Stop, Fix, xxx?)

What am I missing?
    Clips of some kind to attach your negs to the drying line

To Develop the Contact Print:
    1. Film exposing light
    2. Glass plate
    3. Clamps and film table
    4. Light timer
    5. Safelight
    6. 4 chemical trays
    7. funnels, beakers, glass containers and stuff
    8. Contact Print developing chemicals (Developer, Stop, Fix, PhotoFlow??)

How does this look?
    Use heavy weight glass and you won't need clamps, but My preference is a Prinfile Proofer under an enlarger---any enlarger (35mms are practically given away!) Not that it will make any better prints, but I have a fear of breaking glass or getting finger prints on the glass---although wearing white gloves would help---or some other calamity occurring. For drying and flattening your prints there are several options---a blotter book and some weights will help. For stuff, a thermometer is useful, tongs(bamboo is cheap) and a stirring wand of some sort----in a different time you could go to a tropic bar, order a Tiki drink and bring the swizzle stick home with you

If the list is good, can you then suggest exactly what chemicals I'll need to pull this off?
    The standard chemicals nearly every high school student learns on is D-76, Indicator Stop Bath, Fixer, and Dektol for printing. If my film requires a presoak, I use distilled water, Photo-flow is good practice. For chemical jugs you may see if your local compounding pharmacy with save you some plastic jugs Robetussin syrup comes in

Thanks!!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I suggested that already

and almost everything he needs is on that link

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It's a personal choice. This is like asking, what food, kitchen equipment, and dishes should I buy to make and serve dinner? It's a nonsensical question as there are simply too many options and methods and you've not even told us what you plan to shoot.

Perhaps start with this?
    Tin Can

Well, then +1
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Stearman offered a complete starter kit: processing tank, film and development chemistry. It might be worth investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Perhaps start with this?
    Corran, maybe go back and re-read my post. I asked, given a film type, what would you need....

This is where you can explain how YOU do it and it wouldn't be nonsensical, then would it?

So, how do you do it and what chemicals do you use? What do you like about it? What sucks about it? Can you sell me on your process? Does my equipment list marry up well with yours?