Thread: Sinar P1 standard bearer not tilting up

Sinar P1 standard bearer not tilting up

I recently purchased a Sinar camera with a P1 front standard bearer. However, I've discovered that it won't tilt upwards. Downwards it works fine, but when you try to turn the knob to tilt it up than a few degrees away from straight, it just makes a clicking noise as if the gear is skipping.

Some of the knobs are a little stiff, I wondered if some gummed-up lubricant might just have made it a little too hard for the knob to move?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what, if anything, I might be able to to do fix it? I can't really afford to buy another.

Re: Sinar P1 standard bearer not tilting up

I've found that it will go up most of the way, if I apply significant physical force to the two parts as I turn the knob. But obviously that's not ideal!

P1?

Sorry, I meant P1 as to differentiate P from P2.

Just in case anybody has any input - I have worked around the above issue, but I have another problem.

The clamping lever for coarse vertical tilt (pictured) is seemingly stuck in the 'down' position. Worse, the camera is tilted down slightly, so I can't straighten it up. I can compensate using the tilt movements, but that defeats the object a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191129_184625b.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	197984

Has anyone experienced this? Can anybody please suggest a course of action? All I can think is to just push it hard and hope it doesn't break, or try applying some kind of lubricant. But with it being plastic, I'm not sure. I suppose I could always try and open it, but I'm a bit concerned about that.

Quote Originally Posted by BertieWooster View Post
    Just in case anybody has any input - I have worked around the above issue, but I have another problem.

The clamping lever for coarse vertical tilt (pictured) is seemingly stuck in the 'down' position. Worse, the camera is tilted down slightly, so I can't straighten it up. I can compensate using the tilt movements, but that defeats the object a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191129_184625b.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	197984

Has anyone experienced this? Can anybody please suggest a course of action? All I can think is to just push it hard and hope it doesn't break, or try applying some kind of lubricant. But with it being plastic, I'm not sure. I suppose I could always try and open it, but I'm a bit concerned about that.
    Perhaps it needs a professional CLA before worse things happen!