Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the Isle of Mull

Greetings from the Isle of Mull

Hi all, another 'lurker' that decided I'd best sign up and let you know I'm lurking

I may be here under false pretences as whilst I've just purchased a 4x5 Toyo View Monorail my intentions may not be totally honorable (to film).

My DIY skills leave a lot to be desired but after plenty of reading I'll be sticking (maybe literally) my Canon 5Dmkii on the back of it. It's currently sporting a convertible Schneider Symmar 135mm in a Compur-P shutter so I need to do some work for infinity focus.

Off to read some more forums and if I find the right one will no doubt be asking some of my many questions.

Laters.

Re: Greetings from the Isle of Mull

Welcome from a bit further up the coast!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ecce View Post
    Hi all, another 'lurker' that decided I'd best sign up and let you know I'm lurking

I may be here under false pretences as whilst I've just purchased a 4x5 Toyo View Monorail my intentions may not be totally honorable (to film).

My DIY skills leave a lot to be desired but after plenty of reading I'll be sticking (maybe literally) my Canon 5Dmkii on the back of it. It's currently sporting a convertible Schneider Symmar 135mm in a Compur-P shutter so I need to do some work for infinity focus.

Off to read some more forums and if I find the right one will no doubt be asking some of my many questions.

Laters.
    Welcome! But what you want to do is not practical. Figure out what the flange focal length of your lens is. To that add the depth of the Canon body from the les flange to the focal plane mark on top of the camera. The sum will be the closest that a lens will be able to reach infinity focus.
    Additionally the extension that your camera body will add will severely limit or prevent any camera movements due to vignetting by that extension.
    Lastly neither that view camera or your lens was ever designed for the requirements of digital imaging.

So, rather then investing more time and money you might want to investigate other ways to do movements with your MK ll.

Welcome! I hiked Ben More in early spring in 1990. My fiancee and I had a great time exploring the island.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Welcome! I hiked Ben More in early spring in 1990. My fiancee and I had a great time exploring the island.
    Thanks Peter. I've been here almost 10 years and still not made the trip

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Welcome from a bit further up the coast!!

Mike
    Cheers Mike, I'll wave toward the North. Furthest North I've been is Inverness. I was dropped off just outside Fort Augustus and made to run along the bank of Loch Ness up to Inverness (2 years running).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Welcome! But what you want to do is not practical. Figure out what the flange focal length of your lens is. To that add the depth of the Canon body from the les flange to the focal plane mark on top of the camera. The sum will be the closest that a lens will be able to reach infinity focus.
    Additionally the extension that your camera body will add will severely limit or prevent any camera movements due to vignetting by that extension.
    Lastly neither that view camera or your lens was ever designed for the requirements of digital imaging.

So, rather then investing more time and money you might want to investigate other ways to do movements with your MK ll.
    Thanks for the welcome Bob and yes, I understand this project is fraught with 'things to overcome' but thats part of the fun imho. I'm often seen out and about with lenses on my cameras not meant for the 'digital' age. This is step 1 of a multi step project

Welcome!
    We have been to Mull and love Scotland!!

Folker
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Welcome aboard! Don't be afraid to share some of your photos from a very beautiful part of the world.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcomes Mono, Mark and Andrew

Welcome from an island to the south of you!