Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 8x10 film processing

Re: 8x10 film processing

As long as it is not a pyro developer, you'll live long and prosper. Some folks develop an allergic reaction to metol over time.

I've used trays with channels for a few decades, but then usually one at a time in a tray and emulsion up -- constant agitation never allows liquid to 'pool'. Whichever works!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    constant agitation never allows liquid to 'pool'.
    I think a lot of these myths about tray patterns come from people who've had marks as a result of using too small a tray & have blamed vaguely understood fluid dynamics for their error. That Paterson style trays jump quite significantly from 10x12" to 12x16" probably exacerbates the urge to use too small a tray!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    There is a new product coming in 2 weeks from Stearman Press. It's the follow up to their highly successful sp-445 and is called the sp-810. Very easy to use and takes minimal chemistry. Also does 45x7 and maybe 4x5. I have one coming. It looks to be the best option for small volume.

Kent in SD
    I’ve been using the production prototype tray you saw quite a bit and still really like it. I think you’ll be happy with it when you get yours.

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My problem with this device is that it takes too little chemistry which negated the use of highly diluted developers whichai use frequently.

Jim you can fill it up with half-a-gallon of chemicals if you want.. the minimal amount that SP advertises is just that... the minimum amount to get good results, but you can put a lot more in.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

FWIW,

Have tried trays in the past and found I could not reliably avoid scratching the negatives with the corners of sheets during shuffling.

Was using Picker’s methods.

I could heartily recommend the BTZS tubes also...if temperature control is important there is the Zone VI temperature sensor, which adjusts development time according to temperature of the water bath in which the tubes float.

Picker said at the time that the adjustment curve was based on Tri-X time/temperature curve from Kodak...I reverse-engineered it and have a copy somewhere, but I suspect it might be of limited need if doing hybrid scanning-processing.

Cheers,
    Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tray processing has some guidelines that take the risk out of the equation. First is to use a tray size one larger than the sheet film size. I use 11x14 trays for 8x10. Secondly, use plenty of developing solution. Thirdly, use a water pre wash and lastly, practice your shuffling routing in the water pre soak and don't freak out.

I use trays that have the raised buttons on the bottoms of my trays (it makes it so much easier to get my fingers under the sheets than with a flat bottomed tray) and develop emulsion side up with zero problems. If I tray develop with Pyro I use a respiratory mask during the development cycle. Just takes that risk out of play completely. Lastly, a quality infrared monocle I have been using for over 10 years now is absolutely invaluable. I can see the sheets in the tray and see the image coming up in the developer. I can actually see in the first 45 seconds of tray development how accurate my exposure was and where adjustments in development are needed. It is a tool that works with precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The 3005 is designed for 5x7 to 8x10....so whole plate should be no problem. I had not thought about 4x10 before in a 3005 (I use a modified darkslide to get two 4x10s on a sheet of 8x10). I can not think of any reason 4x10 would not work well in a 3005. I'd be curious if any 4x10 users have gone this route.
    I can confirm the the 3005 works just fine with 4x10 B&W and 8x10 E6 cut in half.
    I have not tried 2 4x10 films in a single tube as I think there is a chance they could wander and end up overlapping.
    Bryan

Drew Wiley

Ditto to what Michael mentioned - oversized tray, ample solution, dimpled bottom stainless steel in a larger still tray acting as a surrounding water temp jacket , emulsion up. But I do it via a compensation timer (no infrared glasses), and have complete predictability.

Quote Originally Posted by piton View Post
    I can confirm the the 3005 works just fine with 4x10 B&W and 8x10 E6 cut in half.
    I have not tried 2 4x10 films in a single tube as I think there is a chance they could wander and end up overlapping.
    Bryan
    Thanks -- and two 4x10s sounds risky.

I tray develop 8x10 in the 12x16 trays (rarely now) and 11x14 in 14x18 trays.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Go too far however & it'll flatten the mids.

Does constant agitation flatten the mids?
    Last edited by radii; 27-Jan-2021 at 11:31.