Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 film processing

Re: 8x10 film processing

+1

I see no practical differences in actual usage with appropriate times between rotary processing and tray (or other intermittent agitation methods). If I'm doing something more in the vein of actual compensation it's with extreme minimal agitation (semi-stand) and that's a whole other ball of wax.

Use whatever works for you. There is no magic bullet.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    There is a new product coming in 2 weeks from Stearman Press. It's the follow up to their highly successful sp-445 and is called the sp-810. Very easy to use and takes minimal chemistry. Also does 45x7 and maybe 4x5. I have one coming. It looks to be the best option for small volume.

Kent in SD
    My problem with this device is that it takes too little chemistry which negated the use of highly diluted developers whichai use frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Pere, you know perfectly well what Bryan meant.
    Peter, you know perfectly what I meant in my post, what Film Development Cookbook explains.

Reduced agitation is a resource that trays have and rotary not, cutting time in the rotary is not the same by far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COMPEN.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	197878

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    +1

I see no practical differences in actual usage with appropriate times between rotary processing and tray (or other intermittent agitation methods). If I'm doing something more in the vein of actual compensation it's with extreme minimal agitation (semi-stand) and that's a whole other ball of wax.

Use whatever works for you. There is no magic bullet.
    In the tray you can make all, from continuous agitation to stand, with all the flavours in middle. I case you make semi-stand or stand ("extreme minimal agitation") the tray has an advantage as it is not prone to provocate bromide drags so any developer can be used with also no developer oxidation problems.

Using a Paper Safe as a tray makes it daylight convenient.

I use rotary for color film, and I'll use it in the future also for RA-4 in the ATL 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by radu_c View Post
    What would you recommend for processing 8x10 BW film negatives in terms of tanks and drums? I’m only set up for medium format thus far and looking for options. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I use a Jobo and 3005 drum. The drums are still available new and represent an excellent value based on used market prices.

Some people like tray processing, I never warmed to it.
    If you're not going to use trays, save yourself time and money and bite the bullet. Get a Jobo 3005.
    It's an expensive purchase at first, but it will last years, the learning curve is short, and is just about idiot-proof (ask me how I know).

Trays or Unicolor drum (paper drum) is what I've used, and I'm notoriously lazy.
    Just sayin'
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    In the tray you can make all
    Well no, you can't do rotary development . Regardless, the results are basically the same and we can chose our tools as needed to actually make work. I'll leave it at that.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Well no, you can't do rotary development
    Bryan, with trays you can do continuous agitation which is rotary without drawbacks. Compared to tray with continuous agitation rotary only has the drawback of oxydizing the developer, so some developers have to be refilled in mid course, or an antioxydant has to be added.

Developers like PMK tend to generate nasty general stain in rotary, for example.

When I have finished the ATL 2500+ retrofit probably I'll do some rotary BW because that rotary it's fully automated processing, we have all the drum collection including both Experts, you press a button and the machine takes the right one shot doses from bottles, but if having to manually operate a CPE then I see no convenience advantage for BW rotary, what I see is oxydations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    with trays you can do continuous agitation which is rotary without drawbacks.
    A Jobo is usually going to be more consistent both in agitation and temperature control in most normal circumstances. And if you need matched densities, that matters. As for all the fluff about semi-stand etc, it's a half-assed, inconsistent non-solution for people who apparently want to waste the time they could use more usefully learning how to unsharp mask instead - which will always have a greater impact on apparent sharpness.