Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 film processing

Re: 8x10 film processing

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Yep. Bad theory + little experience = bad advice.

Ignorance + Rudeness = xxxx

https://bergger.com/bergger-roto-add...ore=bergger_en

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4094.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	197914

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I'm going to strongly disagree with this. Sorry, but unless you've ever processed PMK with rotary, this is bad intel
    Fred, I'd recommned you to try the Bergger Roto-Additive for PMK, you will find that general stain decreases with PMK in rotary, we have found that it decreases it to the level in trays.

Of course there are recipes around that do the same....

If you are used to a higher general stain, there is no problem, at the end you may increase the paper grade to compensate the effect in MG papers of the blue blocking the general stain makes.

_____

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1501133

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1501174
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 28-Nov-2019 at 13:20.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Before I got the Jobo 3005, I processed 8x10 sheets using a Jobo 2830. This is a print tank that will hold up to 1 11x14 sheet of paper (or film) or up to 2 sheets of 8x10. Although their used value has increased you can still find them for under $100. Whether you process 1 sheet or 2 at a time, you need to use the tank clips that will keep them in place and prevent them from moving around and coming into contact with itself or each other during processing. For 8x10 place the clips diametrically opposite each other on the inside ridges of the tank that are there for just that purpose. The ridges also allows for developer to reach the base side of the sheet and I have never experienced lines on the negatives from those ridges. Although the minimum volume of chemistry printed on the tank is 100mL, I use the manufactures volume: For Xtol 1:1 that's 100mL of stock + 100mL of water = 200mL of chemistry per sheet. I still use this tank when I have only 1 or 2 sheets to develop.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I use a Jobo and 3005 drum. The drums are still available new and represent an excellent value based on used market prices.
    So do I -- very happy with the system -- once I switched to a non-hardening fixer. Worth the cost (I have three 3005s and a 3006). And I can do tray development if for some reason the situation calls for it (I have to do trays for now for 11x14). I use a Unicolor motor base that has the auto reversing mechanism disengaged.

I rarely have a need for compensating development -- usually I am expanding the SBR on the film (alt processes)./

I have used Rollo and PyrocatHD successfully...tho Bergger 200 generally seemed to have a greater base-fog stain than most other films.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Been using PMK in a Jobo expert drum and Jobo processor since PMK was introduced in Gordon Hutchings "Book of Pyro" with very few to about zero problems.. That was in the 1990's.

Just cannot agree with the idea-belief Jobo processor & expert drum with PMK causes, "generate nasty general stain."

Show examples of this from your Jobo with expert drum negatives processed with PMK?

Feeding the troll on T-day, likely not a good idea,
    Bernice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Originally Posted by Pere Casals, "Developers like PMK tend to generate nasty general stain in rotary, for example."

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I'm going to strongly disagree with this. Sorry, but unless you've ever processed PMK with rotary, this is bad intel

If I have many sheets to process, I use 1 gal SS tanks which hold up to 6 8x10's in hangers in a SS water jacket. If I only have a few sheets, I process two 8x10's at a time in Unicolor 11x14 tanks on an Unicolor rotary base. Both in HC-110, get comparable results with both. L

A Jobo CPA 2 isn't very expensive, I use it with a Jobo 4550 drum and a 4511 Format Holder to develop 4x 8x10's at once. It may not be fully automated but I get *very* consistent development.

I have been doing very dilute development with Jobo for about 15 years. Just keep emptying and re-filling as needed. Usually about 5 or 6 times, depending on the dilution and efficacy of the developer components. Water bath between the developer changes can be used too, to slow down the process even more.

My tray-technique involves a single (shuffle) presoak tray, then films get placed, face-up, into multiple (individual) developer trays placed into a much larger tray so each film gets exactly the amount of agitation they need (either en-mass by tilting big tray around or singly by tilting individual small trays), then back into shuffle trays for remaining steps. A bit of a logistical pain at first...but I'm used to this now and get very precise control in the development phase.

while I currently use Jobo Expert tanks, I will sometimes still use Simma print drums on their roller base. The drum I use can do 4 4x5 sheets or a single 8x10. The Simma roller base has an eccentric wheel so it rocks side to side very slightly allowing the chems to slosh around a bit. It doesn't self reverse like some bases so t will flip it over if I remember. Very affordable way to process sheet film.

fwiw, the Simma cap will also fit an abs pipe (5" iirc), which I use for processing 7x17 negs.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...