Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 film processing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

8x10 film processing

What would you recommend for processing 8x10 BW film negatives in terms of tanks and drums? I’m only set up for medium format thus far and looking for options. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Parallel parking extraordinaire

Re: 8x10 film processing

Tanks will take a lot of chemistry. There was a member here making small 2-sheet tanks but I think he stopped making those. Most of the metal tanks I've seen / have are massive capacity and not good for individual sheets or small batch processing unless you keep the chemicals and replenish, or possibly use extreme methods with very little developer.

Personally I would suggest getting the BTZS 8x10 tubes. I haven't used "drums" like the Jobo myself but the BTZS tubes for individual 8x10 sheets work great and are fairly cheap to get into. I think I bought my set of 6 for about $20 each. 8oz of chemistry per sheet.

Or just use 8x10 trays for the classic experience. It's not that bad - I resisted for years doing tray, but it works great. I only do 1 sheet at a time though as I don't trust myself not to scratch film otherwise.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Start with trays, as Bryan says. It's cheap and can give great results. Regarding BTZS tubes, I liked them for 4x5, but I didn't as much for 8x10. At least my DIY versions weren't much fun to use, being really bulky. For the last 20 years, I used a Jobo CPP-2 and an 8x10 expert drum. It's great for small amounts of film, but today's model is very pricey.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Trays: reliable, consistent results, easily replicated process every time.

Start with trays, preferably one size up, so 11x14" ones.
    I got really bad results at first, bought a Jobo CPA, results didn't improve. Then I discovered that Foma film was to blame, duh. Since then I shoot Adox and Ilford film, but now I'm spoiled with the Jobo

Foamer

There is a new product coming in 2 weeks from Stearman Press. It's the follow up to their highly successful sp-445 and is called the sp-810. Very easy to use and takes minimal chemistry. Also does 45x7 and maybe 4x5. I have one coming. It looks to be the best option for small volume.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    There is a new product coming in 2 weeks from Stearman Press. It's the follow up to their highly successful sp-445 and is called the sp-810. Very easy to use and takes minimal chemistry. Also does 45x7 and maybe 4x5. I have one coming. It looks to be the best option for small volume.

Kent in SD
    My problem with this device is that it takes too little chemistry which negated the use of highly diluted developers whichai use frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My problem with this device is that it takes too little chemistry which negated the use of highly diluted developers whichai use frequently.

Jim you can fill it up with half-a-gallon of chemicals if you want.. the minimal amount that SP advertises is just that... the minimum amount to get good results, but you can put a lot more in.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    I would be more interested in the film holder that they use, than the tank. For one thing, it's a daylight system, and that introduces variability into the process.

As a result, I long ago decided to dip and dunk film in the dark. I do this with both medium format and 4x5 and obtain consistent results.

But 8x10 film is too large for the 4x5 process that I use. So, I've been experimenting with an 8x10 dip and dunk film holder sold by Calumet in their heyday. Used as manufactured, this device leaves surge marks, so I've customized it to reduce this effect. I would be interested in seeing the Steerman device and how effective it might be.

I bought and have been using one of the reduced developer tanks that Vinny sold. If interested, I could provide dimensions. While they might not get the professional quality tank that he fabricated, it would be easy enough to make their own 8x10 tank to any dimensions and volume that they needed.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I would be more interested in the film holder that they use, than the tank. For one thing, it's a daylight system, and that introduces variability into the process.

As a result, I long ago decided to dip and dunk film in the dark. I do this with both medium format and 4x5 and obtain consistent results.

But 8x10 film is too large for the 4x5 process that I use. So, I've been experimenting with an 8x10 dip and dunk film holder sold by Calumet in their heyday. Used as manufactured, this device leaves surge marks, so I've customized it to reduce this effect. I would be interested in seeing the Steerman device and how effective it might be.

I bought and have been using one of the reduced developer tanks that Vinny sold. If interested, I could provide dimensions. While they might not get the professional quality tank that he fabricated, it would be easy enough to make their own 8x10 tank to any dimensions and volume that they needed.

They don't use film holders. This is a merger of tray processing and a covered tank. I should be getting one in the next week or two. Here's a video showing how it works. Looks great for someone like me who will only be doing a few sheets at a time and doesn't have a dark room. The fact it does all three formats I use (4x5, 5x7, 8x10) makes it very versatile. The SP-810 has been in development for two years now and looks pretty well engineered. I can load this in my bathroom and use it in my kitchen. Will also do Land dry plates easily. I wouldn't write it off so quickly--it looks good. I saw one at Jason Lane's house and was impressed. Let's see how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wdz...ature=youtu.be

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!