Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: transporting a Sinar Standard/Norma 4x5 in the field

Re: transporting a Sinar Standard/Norma 4x5 in the field

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    People got along in the entire Western Hemisphere for 15,000 yrs without wheels or camera bags. All you need is three sections of Mastodon tusk for a tripod, three sections of chipped obsidian for the spike feet, and a live Mastodon named Norma to carry your gear.
    Does that mean the second Mastodon (called Sinar?) is wandering around with only one tusk?

Mike

Kinda depends on the definition of "Field"

Transport case says much about the kind of images made... One of those who are not fond of muddy shoes if this is any clue

Bernice

What good are wheels except on a road, sidewalk, or at an airport? None of that is the "field".

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Rather than a Norma, I have a Toyo Robos which is probably similar to the Norma. I haven't hiked with it yet – I take the Toyo AX or CF when hiking – but you can disassemble the Robos by removing the bellows and 6-inch rail w/clamp from the standards and the camera will store in a backpack along with the 2d factory issued rail which will take you our for a 300mm lens.along with the other accessories.

Thomas

Note: The Toyo rails extend simply by screwing one into the other so you don't have to carry a big rail with you.

Drew Wiley

Mike - There's more than one kind of mastodon. Some are assembled using parts of others. I've got a tusk missing from one of my old F's, a leg missing from another. Half of the bones of a P2, dug up from the permafrost in perfect condition, are on museum display as the focus device and lens support for one of my big enlargers. Norma is chugging along pretty good by herself after all these years. Her former owner kept her in a clean petting zoo (studio), so she had no battle scars. I take good care of her too, but let her enjoy the outdoors.

When I transported my Horseman monorail I disassembled it and wrapped each component in a lens wrap, then everything went in a Kelty backpack. That was pretty compact and everything was well protected.

Drew Wiley

No need to dissemble it at all. That's the idea. I've carried Sinars over 10,000 mi in rough terrain in Kelty's, ready to go w an 18" rail. Got my Norma ready to use in a Kelty top cmpt now. But I might have a different definition of Kelty: the real deal made here, not the book bag import outfit that simply bought the name afterwards.

Drew Wiley

I also gotta challenge Bernice's lack of global perspective. If there was no mud, there would be no dirt or water. So if there is neither soil nor moisture, there would be no beer.

Don't drink beer either
    But farm fresh gown produce is great. Great outdoors not for me.. of which means about zero for others.

Bernice

I also gotta challenge Bernice's lack of global perspective. If there was no mud, there would be no dirt or water. So if there is neither soil nor moisture, there would be no beer.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I don't have the Norma now to check, but maybe like this?
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rail&p=1495112

Kumar
    This is the method that Sinar has suggested in some of their literature. But, it seems like a lot of effort goes into packing and unpacking. And, it takes up quite a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The issue with carrying the F-series Sinars is that big rail clamp. The Norma clamp is more compact and that makes it possible to get it in that Tamarac case.
    I would conjecture that they needed to introduce that long clamp, when Sinar developed the P series cameras. The vertical "rods" on a P standard bearer extend down quite a distance, making the longer clamp necessary. And to accommodate larger formats, like the 5x7 F and 8x10 F, Sinar needed to lengthen those rods, so that the front could have greater rise.

Not only do the longer F/P clamps make it more difficult to stow the camera, they increase the moment arm from the tripod head to the camera. Thereby, this increases the camera's propensity to exhibit "tuning fork" vibrations.

The original Sinar F had a clamp with the same basic dimensions as the Norma clamp, because the vertical rods on the Sinar F were shorter. My favorite Sinar field camera is this original F. I hear they're a little more frail; but then, one need only exert care not to over-tighten their knobs. I also prefer using that original F clamp on Norma cameras. Both the Norma and the longer Sinar clamps permit side to side rotation of the camera on the rail, and I really dislike that unnecessary degree of freedom.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 30-Nov-2019 at 00:29.