Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wollensak 7inch 4.5 Velostigmat looking for front barrel or measurements

Wollensak 7inch 4.5 Velostigmat looking for front barrel or measurements

Hi Everyone

Granted I'm new to all this and not sure of all the correct terminology so hope everyone can bare with me.

I picked up a Wollensak Velostigmat 7inch 4.5 lens set but as I come to find out, it only has the barrel for the rear element. I'm wondering if anyone has a spare front barrel or that can shoot me the measurements of the it, maybe I can figure out some kind of spacer solution.

Appreciate any/all help!

-Sean

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLens.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	197771

Name:	RearLens.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	197772

Re: Wollensak 7inch 4.5 Velostigmat looking for front barrel or measurements

It may have been originally fitted into an Alphax or Betax shutter. LFPF member 'Whir-Click' may be able to help with details; there's a lot of Wollensak info on his site... might be alphaxbetax.com.

I have this same lens, maybe a bit later than yours, serial #33170, mounted in an Optimo #3 shutter.
    I can take a photo and get a measurement tomorrow, if you're still in need of this info.
    Welcome to LFF!

Thanks! I sure do still need the measurements and photo would be great. I originally reached out to alphaxbetax.com, great guy and great site, through him I learned I was missing the barrel and he suggested I try the LF forums.

Foamer

I checked and found I have a 7.25 inch velostigmat in betax shutter. I would be happy to measure if that's the same lens you're talking about.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Here's the pics of my lens. As far as I can tell, the shutter is original spec for my lens and I've always gotten good results on my 5x7 Eastman View. You appear to have all the components of the lens, you just need to mount it in a shutter. If you mount it in a barrel, it'll need to be approx 23mm thick and you won't have an adjustable aperture. They came in different shutters over the years, so the Wollensak catalogs here may give you some ideas of which shutters might work with this lens, if you find one on the used market. Good luck!

Name:	Img01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	197854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img02.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	197855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img03.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	197856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img04.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	197857

Additional images:

Name:	front_group.jpg 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	197858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear_group.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	197859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutter_thickness.jpg 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	197860

Hey Jim_jm, thanks that helps a ton! I'll have to start trolling ebay for an optimo

Hi Jim_jm: is that a #3 Optimo that you pictured? If it’s not too much trouble, could you also please measure the threads of the front and rear cells? That should remove any doubt about which shutter the OP ought to seek.

Based on my own 8.25” Series II in an Optimo, I had thought that the OP’s front lens cell was missing a short adapter to thread into the shutter. Your helpful pictures dispel that misconception.

Sure. It's an Optimo 3 shutter, speeds 1 - 1/300, T, B.
    Rear shutter thread (female) that accepts the rear element and spacer (male) is ~48mm diameter. The thread depth of the rear spacer is 3.5mm.
    Front shutter thread is exactly the same. In fact, you can thread the front group onto the back of the shutter, and vice-versa.